17 June 2010

Surprise!

I have some Big News.

Some of you may already know. Others…not yet.

Drumroll...

...

I am pregnant
.

And that is, in part, why I haven’t posted much here of late. I’ve been busy with spotting, which freaked me out, as well as attempting to put on a decent amount of weight because I’m starting this pregnancy at such a low weight, my BMI is probably the worst (i.e., lowest) it’s been since high school. This puzzles me, as my eating habits over the past months haven’t changed drastically. There was stress in May, but that’s understandable. I’m wondering if my metabolism, which has always been on the higher side, has crossed over into hyperthyroidism.

A & I went to a midwife. It was close to impossible to find a midwife who would do prenatal care for someone who had a C-section. Very few will, yet they all encourage VBACs. Well, respected midwives, how am I supposed to a VBAC when you want me to see an ob-gyn? At this point, I’m doubtful it’s worth the fight. I would so love to attempt a VBAC, but I doubt it. Since I cannot do that, however, I probably will be a very “bitchy” pregnant woman and demand that they allow me to go into labor naturally. What’s the big deal? I do want the birthday to be a surprise, but more importantly, I want the baby’s lungs to be healthy.

Anyway—the appointment with the midwife went well. It’s still so early, so anything could happen. My brain knows this, but yes, if I do lose this pregnancy, as much as I understand the science and genetics, etc, it would be devastating to me. As I write this, I’m maybe 6 weeks along, and due close to Valentine’s Day.

I had some random bleeding last Friday, which had me “bed-resting” on Saturday, Sunday (after it happened again), and Monday. Ordered by my mom and A. My MW said it was a good idea, too. I happily (really) returned to work on Tuesday, only to find that this pregnancy will be prone to all-day morning sickness. On bed-rest, I felt like I was wasting my time. I know I’m not, but I like to feel productive. And I didn’t. Needless to say, I’ve had more fun than I did on battling a long ass morning sickness, Tuesday and Wednesday. But last night, I was finally able to keep foods down, liquids down for longer than an hour.

I’m tired today, physically sore (back especially), but my guess is that this is a result of the visual studies I’ve conducted the past 48-hours of various commodes and even sinks and trash cans when I wasn’t able to make it to the restroom on time (which is unheard of for me).

That’s my update. I’m anxious but very happy and excited.

3 comments:

Slink said...

Congratulations Whitney. Love to you. ((hugs))

Ro said...

super big hugs for you hon...I know the pains of all-day sickness...had it my entire pg w/ Nick. If I was awake...I was nauseous...and I can remember using trashcans etc as well! (((((Whit)))) I don't have to remind you how "worth it" it all is! Hang in there!!!!
LOVE AND HUGS!!!!
Ro

Anonymous said...

Hugs, sorry for the spotting deal. I found out I'm having a girl so I'm excited about that. You are so brave to do natural or try to. I am still freaked out about doing labor at all and want the C section. I also have this group B strep colonization so I am kind of surprised that they don't recommend a C anyway? And they can't kill the bacteria they tried once. Hopefully its not worse to do that, I don't know... Hang in there... and congrats!!!!(and on the new house too :)