I've been getting blood work regularly to check my thyroid. I don't need any medicine for it--yet.
And then I get a message from my doctor, last week. He requested that I schedule an appointment with an optometrist to measure my tear production, and then see him.
I saw the optometrist today. The "standard" tear production is 8 (something) in 5 minutes.
I'm a 4.
Oh, and the test is awkward. You sit there for five minutes with test strips hanging from your eyes.
It doesn't hurt, but it's awkward for those of us who don't walk around with test strips from our eyes.
Because of the low measure, the doctor put in a dye-drop to see if there's any cornea damage.
There isn't, but that was weird. I wasn't expecting "let's see if you have cornea damage" so I suppose we'll chalk that up to a good experience in Stoicism.
My vision is better than 20/20, so...what gives?
I looked at my blood work (thank you for making that available online.) I looked up the eye tests.
I'm guessing--and it's only a guess--that I may have Sjorgen's Syndrome. Well, okay, my mom was the one who put the pieces together, and apparently, having celiac makes you more likely to have Sjorgen's. It's not deadly, it sounds rather easily treated--a lot of OTC for symptoms.
I'll find out on Friday. In the meantime, I have new eye drops and am looking for a pair of clear glasses (to protect the moisture in my eyes. I'm not wearing safety goggles all the time though, and I imagine I may have a hard time just wearing regular, non Rx glasses simply because I'm not used to it.
And that's what's going on with me, physically. If I do have SS (I can't believe it, but that's apparently a common abbrevation for it!), I'll have THREE autoimmune diseases.
I think that deserves a medal. :p
Really, I am okay. I've been silent about it because I don't want to freak out or worry people.
No comments:
Post a Comment