09 May 2011

Hello from a stranger


This past Christmas, I thought it was odd that I didn’t hear at all from B. Being very pregnant, being married, and moving on with my life, however, I didn’t think too much about it. I noted it, filed it away in my head, and focused on what I needed to—myself, my belly, my daughter, my husband, my family and lovely friends…

It’s such a conflicting bunch of emotions: you want to know that the man who fathered this beautiful little girl, the man you spent a good 6+ years with, remembers that little girl’s birthday. That it means something to him.

And at the same time, just the thought of hearing from him makes me nervous. It’s always sad to hear from him, because it’s always a confirmation of how ill he is and will continue to be.

I don’t even remember how, but somehow, B’s name came up on Saturday when we were visiting my parents.

My mom somehow explained that in December, on C’s birthday, she and my sister discovered a large box left on the front porch.  They went through it, and tossed out “the really sick items.” My mom clearly felt uncomfortable for keeping this from me, but she didn’t want to tell me because I was pregnant and yes, I feel very vulnerable when I am pregnant (as I believe I’ve documented). 

As far as I know, my parents have never kept anything from me. I was a tad annoyed that she didn’t share this with me right away, but what can I do? That’s in the past, so let me focus on the here and now. Also, as a mother, I can understand that urge to protect your child when they seem more vulnerable than usual.
Okay, to move on…

What my mom and sister got rid of, I don’t know. I do wish they hadn’t gotten rid of anything. In the closet of my old bedroom  at my parent’s house, I keep every bizarre note and present B has sent to C and to me. When/if I terminate his paternity, I plan on using these to demonstrate that he is not a fit parent. Take, for example, the fake check he sent me in 2009 with a crude phallus drawn. I think this was his “clever” or “artistic” way of saying money is a whore, or something like that. But really? And the bogus check was made out to his daughter.

Classy. Sad.

But…what they didn’t get rid of is a collection of things I haven’t fully gone through yet. I could cry in happiness for one item.

He sent me his old laptop. This was the laptop that navigated our way across the US several times. This is the laptop on which he stored all our photos and videos of baby C. I think I will go through the laptop on Friday, because it’s clear from his notes scattered amidst the other items that there’s at least a movie he thinks we should watch, as well as some music.

I’m guessing most of the music is on the iPod mini he sent. It’s pink, and it’s obviously for C. The message on the leather pouch it was in reads, “For my favourite seamen.”

Horrible pun. Horrible way to think of your daughter, although I know it’s his sick way of saying he loves her. It amazes me that I remember how his sick mind works. That I “get it”.

He did write out in other notes that he loves her, us. He sent a copy of the Velveteen Rabbit, as well as a stuffed velveteen rabbit.
I can’t help but think he’s comparing himself to the velveteen rabbit.

There’s a cabbage patch doll “of color” with a racist note saying to watch the movie on the laptop for the reference. I might give C the doll, sans note. It’s a cute baby doll.
There’s a book for me. He made notes in the margins about…well, us and how certain comments remind him of me. The book is about:

The international economic collapse. And yet the few notes in the margins I’ve read made it clear he still loves me in some way.
So…I’ve got some emotional work ahead of me. I want, obviously, to be by myself as I go through this stuff.
And then I’ll probably update here, sometime next week, about what I find…if anything…

I just really, really hope all the photos and videos are still on the laptop.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

oh w ((((((((((( xox ))))))))))) I am sure there is a lot to process there. I love you and am listening.

elle said...

maybe you can go through the stuff with a friend or your sister? it's kind of weird that your mom and sister would have gone through the stuff- was it mailed to you? i mean, that's like a crime... unless maybe if it was sent UPS. don't his parents know that he is doing this and/ or think, "hey, i totally blame that girl for making him crazy and still i feel that i might want to avoid any legal complications should he regain his non crazy and/ or want child rights." not that i think you made his mental health deteriorate at all- but my understanding is that they (possibly dealing with their own challenges) have this misguided view of that. if gas were not so pricey/ work chaotic i'd swoop down there to support you in this! if you want to skype while you go through and while i make inappropriate jokes so that you don't get too terribly down and make supporting statements so that you aren't so overwhelmed by it all!!

hugs and hugs and smooches all around!!

FemmePhil said...

My mom and sister looked through it together because B left it on the doorstop in the middle of the night, apparently. He doesn't use the mail.

I don't know who it was addressed to--it may have said "[our last name] Family".

There's no telling what his parents think. Probably that he's creative. I mean, he receives a hefty SS disability payment every month, and yet they obviously let him have free reign with this money, instead of making a trust for him with it (which they could do).

As for child rights, they clearly don't care about their only grandchild. It's so foreign to us, isn't it? To just not care? Or to think that if they do, I'll want their money? I don't care about their stupid money.If B did want to see us, I'm sure his mom would discourage it along the lines of "she'll seek child support."

Okay, even if he could hold down a job, I would not seek child support from him because that would mean I'd have to grant him visitation. I couldn't trust him with C, and at this point, with A in her life longer than B was, it would be soooo traumatic to C! :(

elle said...

the relationship A has with C (this sounds like a geometry problem) is so sweet from my observations at least! it sucks (and is so WEIRD) that they don't want to get visitation or at least updates from her! i can't stand being in the dark about my mother's dogs! and i like to get my regular C updates! that's just good manners at the very very least!!!

i imagine it's one of those things that is more sad and difficult to deal with as an adult than as a child. she probably doesn't feel that a void is there at all. you're kind of aware of it much of the time. odd...

d. said...

First of all, ((((HUGEHUGS))))

I can just imagine the feelings this brings up for you. I'm read your more recent entries as well, and although I am sorry for the bad puns and racist jokes, etc. I am very happy that you have your pictures and the memories that come with them. Yes, he is sick, and it's ok to admit that, but it's also ok to remember the good stuff too. Love you.

~Kiya

Dysmonia said...

I'd be pissed if my family fucked with a package for me and my kid (if I had one). But at this point I sense that's neither here nor there. B definitely sent you a Pandora's Box.