24 November 2009

some thoughts on nourishment

I wrote this in response to someone who is struggling with binging and purging:

I don't know what "normal" is eating wise, but I'm giving up on that as a concept and willing to define a new normal for myself. I'm moving towards intuitive eating and treating food as a source of nourishment and as a commitment to my life and the lives of those around me. By eating, I am saying, "I can nourish myself, and by nourishing myself, I can and will nourish others." If I obsess about food, I am miserable and as much as I try to nourish others, I cannot do so in a healthy way. To nourish myself is about choosing to live and enjoy my own life as fully as possible.

And believe me, it's a daily struggle. I certainly don't eat 'normally' for other people. I tend to eat at one time during the day only, but I make sure to eat enough and eat a balanced diet at this time. No, I don't do breakfast or lunch, but what I do eat nourishes not just my body, but my mental well-being as well.

It took a long time to get to this place, too. And please don’t think that I don’t have days like you describe. I do. But I try to center and refocus. I try to remind myself what life is really about, and that my life spent thinking and obsessing about food hasn’t been rewarding in the slightest.

No comments: