* Nash’s schizophrenia led him to have homosexual affairs
* Nash didn’t have visual hallucinations, he had auditory ones. I can more easily forgive this, however; it’s more visually compelling as a movie, but if you’re doing a biopic, then you should stick to the facts of that person’s life.
* Nash was involuntarily hospitalized more than once. In fact, he spent onwards of 8 months in the hospital at a time.
* The Nash’s had two sons.
* Alicia divorced him in the early ‘60s, but was still supportive of his recovery. (The remarried/got back together around the early ‘70s.)
* The youngest son lives a life very crippled by this strange disease that takes the mind hostage
It is not surprising that it hurt me to see Alicia portrayed as this strong woman who held everything together. I mean, I have nothing but respect for her and what she’s been through—and still goes through, particularly with their one son who is very sick. Yet she only is seen as frustrated once. It never shows him acting aggressive to her, which he did. It never demonstrates the immense relationship strain this causes. No, she holds down the fort, he gets his shit together (as much as he can) and wins the Nobel Prize.
While I think Dr. Nash deserved the Nobel for his work…he may not have been alive to win a Nobel (the prizes aren’t awarded posthumously) were it not for her.
While I think Dr. Nash deserved the Nobel for his work…he may not have been alive to win a Nobel (the prizes aren’t awarded posthumously) were it not for her.
Seeing the film was very hard. I knew it would be. It brought back so many memories of things I’ve never really talked about. I just carry them, inside, haunted. I think maybe I should do something with my own experiences with B’s schizophrenia. The movie portrayal of Nash’s actions and progression of his illness, quite frankly, is nothing compared to what B did. NOTHING.
A very, very sore point with the movie for me was that it shows people—Nash’s community—as being amazingly supportive of mental illnesses and all waaaaaaaaay back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, when many of these things weren’t talked about and certainly weren’t understood even by the best doctors. The best doctors, during this time, still thought schizophrenia was a result of bad mothering. A cold mother. (Yes, we mothers suck.) Women still “went to visit an aunt” in a different state to have a baby conceived out of wedlock (if they couldn’t take a trip to Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc). Yes, Nash is teased some in the movie, but that all (if I remember correctly) takes place on campus. In grad school, fellow grad students DO tease one another. I vividly remember hearing not that long ago, “Don’t ever call me a Nominalist again, you damn Meinongian!” So yeah, teasing occurs in grad school.
This was a very sore point for me because when B illness hit and I was newly pregnant, WE were left alone, which was probably in part why I followed him around. His own childhood friend suddenly feared his illness was contagious or they were scared. And instead of facing their fear or realizing someone is hurting deeply, they just left him. And consequently me, to an extent. When I was pregnant, so many of our "friends" in Seattle abandoned us. The phone stopped ringing, and when we reached out, no one accepted invitations, save for one person. I understand that they were scared, I understand that they don't know what's happening, what to do.
I was terrified. I didn’t know what was happening. I didn’t know what to do. I literally watched as the person I had known for close to 5 years disappeared and some thing else took over.
This was a very sore point for me because when B illness hit and I was newly pregnant, WE were left alone, which was probably in part why I followed him around. His own childhood friend suddenly feared his illness was contagious or they were scared. And instead of facing their fear or realizing someone is hurting deeply, they just left him. And consequently me, to an extent. When I was pregnant, so many of our "friends" in Seattle abandoned us. The phone stopped ringing, and when we reached out, no one accepted invitations, save for one person. I understand that they were scared, I understand that they don't know what's happening, what to do.
I was terrified. I didn’t know what was happening. I didn’t know what to do. I literally watched as the person I had known for close to 5 years disappeared and some thing else took over.
But I knew something wasn't right--how am I going to leave someone alone when they're so clearly having some sort of massive neural meltdown? I couldn’t. So I slept in the car one night with him, when the paranoia hit. I covered mirrors. I danced in a hotel room at 3 am because he woke me up and wanted to dance with me. It was creepy, I cried. He was unhappy I cried, so he decided we should “all fall down” to cheer me up. But he didn’t announce this. He just pulled me to the ground, and I had nasty rug burn on my knees. (About 4 hour later was the time I called the police, who decided I was a hysterical pregnant woman and he was just fine—welcome to Wendover, Utah/Nevada, folks, where most car commercials are filmed!)
(If you’re wondering how I know his motives, when the illness seemed to be in remission, we talked a lot about our experiences, and he explained what he was thinking, looking very confused as he spoke. He once broke down in tears, saying, “I can’t believe that made sense to me. But it did. I was so certain it would make you laugh.”)
Wow. See…I don’t talk about this, because it scares people. No one wants to hear about this. No one wants to see a movie about this. They want nice clean edges. They want good and bad, black and white, healthy and not healthy. They don’t want reality. They don’t want to know that what I described above was just the tip of the iceberg. Or if I do talk about it, I am looked at incredulously. “Why would you stay with him? Why didn’t you leave?”
Look: I am not complaining about my experiences. As dreadful as some of it was, I would do the same thing were I placed in that same situation. I believed in B. I believed in him, and maybe more, I loved him deeply, as a friend and as someone I wanted to spend my life with. We were going to have a baby together. New life from us. I wanted him to get better, and oh, I suppose I hoped for some sort of Triumph of MY Will. There’s no way of knowing the answer for sure, but ask yourself this: were your significant other to start behaving erratically, what would you do? It started very slow. VERY slowly. But it built up momentum. If they expressed somewhat suicidal thoughts—but not enough to have them committed in the state you’re in—and refused to seek help themselves, would you just walk away?
I can’t do that. I care too much. Love is a strong thing. Friendship is a strong thing. But honestly, I have to say even if I hadn’t known B, and I saw some of the things he did…I wouldn’t walk away. I would gently approach or (more likely) make some phone calls while observing. We are all human. Is it not our job to look out for one another?
Look: I am not complaining about my experiences. As dreadful as some of it was, I would do the same thing were I placed in that same situation. I believed in B. I believed in him, and maybe more, I loved him deeply, as a friend and as someone I wanted to spend my life with. We were going to have a baby together. New life from us. I wanted him to get better, and oh, I suppose I hoped for some sort of Triumph of MY Will. There’s no way of knowing the answer for sure, but ask yourself this: were your significant other to start behaving erratically, what would you do? It started very slow. VERY slowly. But it built up momentum. If they expressed somewhat suicidal thoughts—but not enough to have them committed in the state you’re in—and refused to seek help themselves, would you just walk away?
I can’t do that. I care too much. Love is a strong thing. Friendship is a strong thing. But honestly, I have to say even if I hadn’t known B, and I saw some of the things he did…I wouldn’t walk away. I would gently approach or (more likely) make some phone calls while observing. We are all human. Is it not our job to look out for one another?
Back to schizophrenia:
I believe I have established that A’s understanding of any mental illness is more than a little lacking. I love him dearly, but…it is. Last night, he brought up that watching that movie made him worry about C. He said something along the lines of, “I’m no longer going to let her play games where there are imaginary things or people, because that could develop into schizophrenia.”
Good intentions, meet stupid idea. Stupid idea, this is a good intention.
I had to remind him C is under 5. We WANT her to imagine and be creative!!! Let her have tea parties with attendants like Alice (in Wonderland), Obama, Coraline, and her best friend from school who she’s going to marry (gay marriage and tea parties at our house!) I had to explain that schizophrenia hits—usually—after the age of 20. I reminded A, too, that B’s family has no history of the illness. That there’s a nurture v. nature issue, too; even if there is a gene, and even if C has it, it may never be triggered. I also pointed out that we, unlike B’s parents, won’t dismiss a sudden and abrupt change in her behavior as “genius,” and follow that explanation up with a line like, “society just doesn’t understand how sensitive my child is.”
(Did you just gag reading that last line?)
I believe I have established that A’s understanding of any mental illness is more than a little lacking. I love him dearly, but…it is. Last night, he brought up that watching that movie made him worry about C. He said something along the lines of, “I’m no longer going to let her play games where there are imaginary things or people, because that could develop into schizophrenia.”
Good intentions, meet stupid idea. Stupid idea, this is a good intention.
I had to remind him C is under 5. We WANT her to imagine and be creative!!! Let her have tea parties with attendants like Alice (in Wonderland), Obama, Coraline, and her best friend from school who she’s going to marry (gay marriage and tea parties at our house!) I had to explain that schizophrenia hits—usually—after the age of 20. I reminded A, too, that B’s family has no history of the illness. That there’s a nurture v. nature issue, too; even if there is a gene, and even if C has it, it may never be triggered. I also pointed out that we, unlike B’s parents, won’t dismiss a sudden and abrupt change in her behavior as “genius,” and follow that explanation up with a line like, “society just doesn’t understand how sensitive my child is.”
(Did you just gag reading that last line?)
So here I am again, feeling haunted a bit by the past. Not in a bad way. Just…very contemplative. I can prepare myself as best I can, but if C does develop any illness—I have no control over that. My job is to get her the best support she can, in sickness and in health. I love my daughter fiercely. I so often feel like I fought the world for her, during my pregnancy, probably because I was virtually alone for so much of it. Then, when I was no longer alone, I felt ashamed. I felt like B’s illness was my fault and/or that people would judge me for continuing my pregnancy.
Sorry if this is depressing. It’s actually not depressing to me, because this is my past. This is part of me. This is something I survived, and yes, I truly mean survived. I am not ashamed, I don’t care what people think. If they don’t understand or cannot at least pretend to understand or want to understand more…then they are denying a part of my past, and a part of who I am today.
6 comments:
Whit, I love your willingness to share your story. It makes me feel less alone. I am struggling with guilt myself. How do you walk away from someone who is obviously sick? Your attitude is inspirational. <3
That was beautiful.
i remember seeing that movie years ago. gosh----it has been years ago! and it was a good movie. but it wasn't anything close to what is real. for me it felt so removed from what it is like to live with a mental illness (and for those who live with someone who lives with a mental illness). aside from the illness itself the stigma and the people who react to it make things difficult. it's like, "oh, i know i'm crazy so i need to be super aware of my crazy and keep my crazy to myself so i don't run off people who catch onto it." and then there is the created pressure. it snowballs. then, if you do let people know that you are crazy (i say crazy in a very taking ownership kind of way) you feel very aware and very self conscious about your behavior because you don't want them to know you're crazy and then really, really see you being crazy. and you don't trust yourself---you ask yourself, "am i having a bit of crazy or am i making sense?" now as i type this i think that i sound horribly paranoid but these are the thoughts...
how many relationships, friendships, jobs, classes, plans, etc have i ruined or seen fall apart because of being mentally ill? how many people stopped being around me because i was too depressed to get out of bed or leave the house? how much could i have done if i weren't crazy? i feel like a failure so often because of this. it sucks!
i hate that our culture is so inept at dealing with people who have mental illness and is so ok with just picking up and leaving someone who is ill or someone who is partnered with them. we've come a long way with able-ism. people may mock someone in a wheel chair but for the most part that is seen as wrong and hateful people do that aside or behind the back of someone. because they know it is not ok. the mentally ill are not afforded even that courtesy. not even by friends, family and loved ones. it's hard on a number of levels.
i saw a very painful but very good movie (especially for people who don't get it) that was called Tarnation. it is a documentary made by a guy with a mother who is mentally ill and he has his own mental issues. it was hard to watch and maybe a little painful. it may help someone who doesn't quite get it come a little closer to getting it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390538/
That was inspiring to read Whit, I would stay with matt if it happened to him, he has been there for me through some tough times especially after my mom died, too. Not on the same level at all but yes. I cannot imagine leaving someone you love so much even if that did happen to them, I hope I would have the courage to do that if it was best for the person like you did. It is so sadly true that our society is so intolerant of- well everything and everyone, especially the mentally ill. But also people who look different LGBT's, and there are some persons who are so classist and elitist its sickening! I feel sometimes like its difficult to stay sane living in this country. I cannot imagine what some people have to deal with. I have heard people talk so negatively of other people at work who they feel disclose to much of their personal lives (and this for not very much at all really) that it is kind of terrifying. It makes me wonder what they say about me! Even with my mother's recent death, I a have been afraid to mention it much except to people I know VERY well for fear they will think I am unloading or unstable, etc... Its a sad country and world we live in. But we have to try to stay loving and and listen more than we speak to each other, maybe in some way this will help the world become a better place to live and be.... thanks again Whit for writing all this... we all love you "mutch" :)
aly
I totally get it. I remember bonding with you over something I wrote a long time ago after leaving my bf when he couldn't remember us:
"When someone dies you know it right away. When a part of someone dies it is trickier. You keep holding on and hoping and clinging, until you open your hand and realize you are holding onto nothing."
I remember feeling this way so clearly and it was the hardest thing I'd ever done. I can't imagine how much harder it was for you, being pregnant at that time, hoping against hope. I am listening, and you can talk about it, it's not depressing, it just "is". xoxo.
((hugs))
Post a Comment