05 May 2010

Oil Spill of My Mind

I didn’t mean to leave this blog quiet for so long.

Alas, April brought changes. As the world erupted fully into spring and people celebrated Earth Day, I rubbed the little brown head of my 13-year-old mini dachshund one last time. The sin curves on the monitor that represented his beautiful, loving heart’s beating flattened out into a straight line as he went into cardiac arrest for the second time in an hour. We still don’t know the medical cause of his death, but my beloved dog died peacefully and with us hugging him, kissing him, and telling him how much we love him and how LUCKY we are to have him in our life.

I can’t write any more about that at this time. It still hurts so, so, so much. There is a decided emptiness in the world. Physical size doesn’t matter—your heart size is what matters. And my little dog’s heart was the biggest heart ever.

I miss you so much, S.



So now it’s May. I stumbled upon this quote this morning (I was up very early for no other reason than I don’t sleep very well lately).

“It is a huge danger to pretend that awful things do not happen. But you need enough hope to keep going. I am trying to make hope. Flowers grow out of darkness.”
Corita Kent

I will bear this in mind.

I’ve been reading Borges in Spanish and in English. Spanish is one language I never learned (fluently, I mean, I can count to 100, etc). Ancient Greek—check. Latin—check. Italian—check. Modern Greek—check. But you know, something practical like Spanish? Nope. See, here’s the thing: I suck at pronouncing words in other languages. I really do. I was attracted to my dear dead languages at a young age, and of course, we weren’t graded on how well we could pronounce Cicero’s “Etenim si attendere diligenter, existimare vere de omni hac causa volueritis, sic constituetis, iudices, nec descensurum quemquam ad hanc accusationem fuisse, cui, utrum vellet, liceret, nec, cum descendisset, quicquam habiturum spei fuisse, nisi alicuius intolerabili libidine et nimis acerbo odio niteretur.” (Funny, I only chose this line from Pro Caello because it’s one of his shorter sentences.) So why not start with a poet whose work first struck me when I was 14, and I stumbled upon it in the New Yorker? I was in a waiting room. So yes, I’ve been reading Borges and enjoying it immensely. The Spanish is breathtaking.

I wish my friend Muriel was here to help me.

While this is interesting, it’s not so much about me. What is going on in my head? A lot and nothing, all at once. I have the Bright Eyes lyrics in my head...

“I've been sleeping so strange
With a head full of pesticide
I've got no plans in too much time
I feel too restless to unwind
I'm always lost in thought…”

[For the record, C currently loves belting out the first two lines.]

I hate when I’m lost in thought like this. It means I’m disconnected. Something isn’t right. Maybe it’s just the grief from the death of my first and only dog?

The topic of money and A’s mother came up last night. I handled that pretty well. A and I are going to rent a 3-bedroom house with an AWESOME location and a great shady yard with an orange tree (bearing fruit!) at a reduced rate (because we’re a family and not students, thus more responsible, I suppose). I’m so excited about it.

So his mom apparently called him yesterday, and mentioned a house for rent that’s about $700 out of our budget. It’s bigger, of course, and probably “nicer.” A seemed agitated when he was relating this to me. Something was bothering him. Was it his mother? Was it the fact that we cannot afford that? Was it that he thinks I’m not being honest about my budget but won’t say so?

I mean, okay…let’s be honest. We could buy a house and pay less in terms of monthly mortgage payments that the $1,600 + rent his mother suggested. Are we going to stay in this town? I don’t know yet.

I said, “Does she understand our financial circumstances?” I also confessed, “I feel pretty shitty because I don’t earn that much.”

And then, I nicely inquired, “How are our finances any of your parents or my parents business?”

I mean, for God’s sake, we’re how old. Mommy and Daddy don’t need to know everything about our lives. My parents don’t inquire into our finances. They might be nosy in other areas, but I’ve learned this awesome trick called setting boundaries. It works wonderfully. Alas, I’m not sure A has learned that completely yet. And while it’s sweet and nice that his parents care, I internalize it because I’ve got trauma-issues from B’s parents. So I take that as a “W is freeloading.”

*sigh heavily*

Well, at least I spoke up.

And speaking of feeling crappy, I HATE mother’s day. HATE IT. I’ve had three Mother’s Day’s as a mom, and all have been miserable. Because I cannot stand to stay inside, I go out. And well-intending strangers ask “What did you get for Mother’s Day?”

”Nothing, you dumbass. My child cannot go shopping by herself given that she’s 5 months/17 months/only two, and my partner is very ill/I’m a single mother.”

Of course, I didn’t say that. I believe I said something equally cheesy. And um, it’s a made-up holiday introduced at a time of rampant paternalism in our history.

I should just ignore the day, but it reminds me of how unequal things are. How much we expect women to just do. How much women have internalized this systematic oppression, and yes, even the most feminist of men have internalized this as well. It’s just expected that she’ll: pick up the kids, be the one to stay home with a sick child, do the dishes and other house work. She’s the first one up and the last one to go to bed. And she should always be chipper and cheerful and happy.

That, at least, is how I perceive some of the motherhood-oppression and how I’ve resisted it. That’s why I don’t post photos of C on my fb account anymore, and she has her own page—it was a statement, minor, about how my identity does include “mom to C” but is not just “mom to C”.

Hm…I could go on and on, but you know what? I’ve got to, oh, work or something like that. But I do hope to be writing in this blog far more often.

5 comments:

elle said...

maybe you can have your own sort of "mothers' day" thing. i was going to suggest that you honor Gaia or celebrate Gaia. but you connect with Demeter, right? what if you take back this commercial holiday and make it something of your own----your own way of using the pre-marked calendars to remind you to take a moment and um, honor thy mother?

i suggested Gaia because she's mother earth, right? with this oil mess Gaia could really use some positive energy. but Demeter, too----they both are very much in need of thought right now. take this day and make it your own! use it to connect with the earth, nature, and maybe do something environmentally positive (you could do an earth day to mothers' day celebration of earth). connect with Gaia or Demeter or any of the others who are not so central to the idea of fertility but more...wholeness?

you could do any number of things! i fell in love with the springs so i think of that immediately---but it could very well be something else. maybe you cannot clean up the oil in the gulf but you could do something else earthy...

or maybe you could just make mothers' day a day of celebration for the life of the so very darling little Mr. S

elle said...

oh, and because you've been doing the Spanish poetry lately i thought i'd share one of my faves by Federico Garcia-Lorca

Canción de jinete

Córdoba.
Lejana y sola.

Jaca negra, luna grande,
y aceitunas en mi alforja.
Aunque sepa los caminos
yo nunca llegaré a Córdoba.

Por el llano, por el viento,
jaca negra, luna roja.
La muerte me está mirando
desde las torres de Córdoba.

¡Ay que camino tan largo!
¡Ay mi jaca valerosa!
¡Ay que la muerte me espera,
antes de llegar a Córdoba!

Córdoba.
Lejana y sola.

LGA said...

I just want you to know that on Mother's Day I will be celebrating you as my friend, as a woman, and as a mother.

My Mother's Days have never been very good either. I am dreading this Sunday. Not all of my children with be with me, and it's because one of them has chosen that for herself. It hurts in a way I cannot explain with words. There are no words.

Anonymous said...

That is exactly how I feel too! About mother's day!! OMG you are so wise! I love your quote too. Somtimes I feel like you could be my sister or something, its almost creepy. I was just having issues yesterday with my identity becoming defined as a mom only and not who I am. To the point that I almost do not want my child to call me mom. I am really considering this. I like my name, Aly. Kids have always responded well to it and that is, after all, my name. I may do that, I dont know its possible. It will prob make people think Im weird but who really cares? They think that anyway! As for the boundary issues, you are right to bring up these things early on, he is prob just not used to setting them.
love ya
aly

Jessie said...

Whit, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. I can't believe it's already been this long, but my childhood cat died in my arms two years ago, and I felt like a chapter of my life had somehow abruptly ended. He was 17 years old and similarly full of love and joy and was there during some of the best times of my life. It was entirely traumatic and heartbreaking and something I will never forget, so I am sorry.

Mother's Day really is a joke. I remember once asking my mom when I was very young why there wasn't a Children's Day, and she looked at me and said, "Every day is Children's Day," and I immediately understood what she meant by that and fortunately realized I should never take her for granted on the days in between. But what a joke. It makes me feel horrible for other reasons as well.

Anyhow, thinking of you.