31 March 2010

Waxing poetically

I’m sorry I’ve written sporadically over the past couple days. On the last end, things have improved, dare I say. I think A realized the folly of listening to his parents or that our finances were any of their business.

I’m not in a great mood. I feel sad. I feel taken for granted in the most general sense.

There’s so much I want to say, but I don’t even know how to say it right now.

I will acknowledge that B’s birthday is tomorrow. He’ll be 30. First of all, let’s remind ourselves that I generally have an absurd and painful memory for dates. So is it any surprise I remember his birthday?

Second, let’s also remember that tomorrow was April Fools Day: who are the gods playing a joke on? To strike someone with mental illness is too cruel to be a joke.

Spring is mania-season for him, too, so when I got a call from a restricted number that didn’t leave a message the other day, I started to feel on edge. I can’t say I’ve shaken that feeling. There is something about this time of year for me that’s upsetting.

Let’s think…
…back in 8th grade, my friend’s father died on Easter. Said friend was over at my house when that happened. Nice.
…waaaay back, when I maybe-kinda-believed-a-little-that-God-existed, I always found Easter morbid and upsetting. C’mon, you’re GOD! Don’t let them kill your son.

I also felt guilty, too. Someone died for my sins? Geesh, I’m only 6 or 7 or 8. I knew what “rape” was, I knew who “Ted Bundy” was; how on earth could MY sins of --I’m not even sure what--be so offensive that someone would need to die to cleanse the world of said sins?

When I was in college, I wrote this:

The sun has long been in the sky
            yet I am Weary…

Of life, in general.  How can I get up,
            get out, and participate in the
everyday charades that I’d
much rather bury myself from?

Alone.
I am alone.  My
lack of joy is different
from your unhappiness.
You cannot get over
the morbidity of life and
the mortality which it entails.
I cannot comprehend the
trivialities…
or, perhaps it is the other way around…

A snow shower of leaves and dogwood petals
pollute the wind to only litter the lush
grass.  The green newness
            only seen in April,
ferocious April,
both awe-inspiring and terrifying to me:

I love spring. I hate spring.
Rebirth implies a necessity to replace life,
            implies a certain yet uncertain
death.


I don’t consider myself a good poet (although that was part of the collection that won a national award--go figure). But I really, really love those last lines. Because while spring does bring new life, there is an obvious question people always overlook with spring. Why new life?

Because things, people, loved ones, everything—either changes or dies.

I mean, folks, c’mon. It’s not as morbid as it sounds. It’s the cycle of life.

Ah, writing all of this out, this end of March nonsense, is helping me understand why, when I felt the urge to read T.S. Eliot’s “The Waste Land” again this morning and why these lines are staying with me…


If there were water   
And no rock   
If there were rock   
And also water   
And water 
A spring 
A pool among the rock    
If there were the sound of water only    
Not the cicada    
And dry grass singing    
But sound of water over a rock 
Where the hermit-thrush sings in the pine trees   
Drip drop drip drop drop drop drop    
But there is no water   

Who is the third who walks always beside you? 
When I count, there are only you and I together 
But when I look ahead up the white road 
There is always another one walking beside you 
Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded 
I do not know whether a man or a woman 
—But who is that on the other side of you?

5 comments:

Al.E. said...

Spring can be difficult. I am glad I am not in sunny FL for spring this year after my mom died. It is fitting to be here in Alaska. There is yet to be a spring here, per se. Even in the summer the weather can change rapidly, you may have sun, rain, sun, rain in 10 minute increments all day long. You enjoy the sun while its there as it may soon be gone. I feel like its a mystical land and I am surrounded by those who have gone before, how could they not be here in some way? I can see now why Stephanie Meyer was inspired to write a story about mythological creatures in Washington. I have expected to see mythology all around here, the one place I would believe my own eyes. It is so interesting how weather can connect with our spirit...

FemmePhil said...

Living in the Pacific Northwest was completely other-worldly. The nature around you is so different. I expected to see dinosaurs while hiking the Olympic National Forest.

If I can do anything here in Florida to honour your mom (Do you know how much she helped me?) please let me know. xo

elle said...

on this day in 2003 i attempted suicide. by the time i was admitted to the hospital it was April 1st. there was some kind of something in that---irony, comfort, etc. that i can't put my finger on still...

FemmePhil said...

I am going to celebrate you tomorrow more than ever, elle. I am so glad you are here. I cannot wait to see you, soon, I hope. :)

Al.E. said...

Whit,
Thanks for the offer. She was in to prayer alot, so you could say a prayer of peace for her (it does not have to be a Christian prayer, it could be a blessing or also what is meaningful to you). She did have alot of faith (she was christian). I did not know ever how much or if she helped you besides any inspiration she may have given you inadvertently, she inspired many and many even from a distance or so I have heard. If she helped you through her profession somehow, she did not tell me about it. I have often wondered though. I am glad if she did. She was very careful about maintaining her professional ethics.... thanks again for your kindness :)
aly