Last night, A came home and started asking me how I spent my money, etc. That would have been just fine had he:
- Not been in a foul mood so I felt attacked by the tone of his voice; and
- Not said “other people are wondering”
First of all, he was in a foul mood because he was at his parents house and they were frustrating him somehow. I was never clear how exactly they frustrated him, but they managed to piss me off, not just frustrate.
[Consider that you’re warning: I’m fucking pissy as hell right now]
Secondly, when he pulled out the “other people are wondering”—I’m sorry, but who are these other people, and what business of it is theirs how we split financial obligations?
Well, those other people were his parents. Who knows to who he’s talked to about our finances BEFORE bringing it up to me!
Well, those other people were his parents. Who knows to who he’s talked to about our finances BEFORE bringing it up to me!
Cue the flashback of B’s parents thinking I was a freeloader and gold-digger. (And yes, they really did use those words, which is why it’s that upsetting to me.)
So last night, instead of making and eating dinner, I sat down and accounted for my pay check. A said it wasn’t necessary, but clearly it was when he’s tossing out the line “I don’t understand where your money is going.”
Well, you know me, I’m such a big spender. Like when we went to the store the other day to use a gift certificate someone had gotten for us: it was split on things for C and for A. I didn’t get a single thing at that store.
Well, you know me, I’m such a big spender. Like when we went to the store the other day to use a gift certificate someone had gotten for us: it was split on things for C and for A. I didn’t get a single thing at that store.
When I/we moved in, our deal was that I pay for food while he paid rent, utilities, and cable. Is that splitting expenses 50-50? No. But our salaries weren’t close when I moved in, and he was well aware of this. We had agreed on this arrangement. Let’s also remember that I paid not just for food, but for everything C related. True, I get some money from social security disability, but that didn’t even cover C’s monthly preschool tuition until December of this year. Clothes, toys, books, excursions to state parks, and all other miscellaneous child expenses fell on me.
I received a pay raise in late January, but I also paid for a good portion of the wedding. So no, I don’t have anything in savings at the moment. Am I happy about that? No. But that’s life.
Oh my god, the more I’m writing, the angrier and more bitter I’m getting. Ugly Thoughts In My Head: What business of his mother’s is our financial situation? And what a fucking hypocrite, as she stayed at home during their childhood and beyond.
I mean, for god’s sake, A—I cook dinner. I clean. I am not perfect, but I do carry more than my “fair share” of the chores around the house. And I go through a little dialogue in my head every time I vacuum, about how unfeminist this is, but then, I remind myself, that it’s not that the chores are expected of me because I’m female, but I do them because A, as a small-business owner, has odd hours, and so I do these for the good of the family.
I feel like shit. I totally feel like shit.
Did I eat dinner last night? No, how could I? I was too upset.
Did I eat dinner last night? No, how could I? I was too upset.
Did anyone notice? Nope.
Did that validate my feelings of worthlessness? Absolutely.
I know I’m just internalizing this crap, but It. Hurts. So. Much.
I am so angry that he waited to talk about this until after we got married. We had talked about money prior, of course, but d’oh, he conveniently forgot to mention this.
I’m pissed that he asked me to stop talking to my parents about the honeymoon issue because it was none of their business, but apparently how we share household costs is HIS parents business.
I’m upset that he waited until he was in an extremely nasty mood to bring this up. Hello, is that not psychology 101, which I never even took? That you sometimes need to give yourself space and time to calm down before you can rationally talk about something? I mean, that’s kinda why I keep this blog—so I can not be rational and not calm down and be pissy and angry and selfish and…shit, I’m internalizing again.
I resent that I’m not only expected to pay for half the household expenses when we don’t earn the same amount, but that I pay for most of C’s stuff. I hate that the chores I do around the house are apparently worthless.
I hate this. I fucking hate this.
This is now the second time in three nights that I have been tempted to go for a run. I don’t care if I’m raped or mugged. First of all, I doubt I would be. But secondly, wouldn’t it be a goddamn blessing if I’m the lazy-ass gold-digging free-loader that I apparently am? If you didn’t know, the urge to run comes when I get angry and feel frustrated. It actually started after I was sexually harassed, and I had an urge to smash every single thing in my apartment. I went for a run instead. During B’s illness, I sometimes wanted to cut myself. Because you know, that would so help. *shakes head*
When the Health Care Bill that Does Nothing passed, I wanted to run in anger and frustration. I worked so hard for what?
I guess I’m feeling very similarly now: I work so hard for what?
I guess I’m feeling very similarly now: I work so hard for what?
And have I mentioned, too, that I’m the only one in the household who needs to take medications on a daily basis? And, oh, how funny, I’m the only one in the household without health insurance?
Yeah, this is fair. This is totally fair.
Yeah, this is fair. This is totally fair.
[Please do detect the dripping sarcasm/bitterness/anger].
Um…I suppose I should mention that money and food are my triggers for my ED. I can talk myself out of buying food. I know, how stupid right? But I’m don’t need it, so why not just skip a meal or five?
You all know me, and you know that I have seen psychologists for my ED. Everyone has said the same thing: “You cannot budget for food, W. You can’t.”
I’ve accepted this.
Oh, unhealthy thoughts: go away.
I’ve accepted this.
Oh, unhealthy thoughts: go away.
A’s parents: go fuck yourself and mind your own goddamn business. Or offer to help out. Or appreciate that I not only work full time, like A does, but I help him with his business, saved him thousands in legal costs, spent spare time in the fall re-labeling CDs and DVDs after a busy day of work, vacuum, do dishes, general cleaning.
A: stop being such a dick. Seriously, I know you see the world in black and white, and I knew that when I married you. Fine. But goddamnit, you’re such a hypocrite to state that my parents were being too nosy (and they were) but that somehow, it’s fine for your parents…?
I really want to disappear. Literally. I don’t want to pick up C. I don’t want to go “home.” I want to just disappear right now. I’m tired. I’m exhausted.
Why do I have to explain myself to you, A? I mean, after I accounted for more than half my monthly earnings without even considering food, he let off me. But goddamnit.
I really want to disappear. Literally. I don’t want to pick up C. I don’t want to go “home.” I want to just disappear right now. I’m tired. I’m exhausted.
Why do I have to explain myself to you, A? I mean, after I accounted for more than half my monthly earnings without even considering food, he let off me. But goddamnit.
9 comments:
What the hell, does A have access to my blog? I post this, and I now have this in my inbox:
Hi Sweetness,
Okay, so before doing anything today, I wanted to apologize to you for last night. I had a bad day and it probably wasn't the best day to bring up what we talked about last night. It was not my intention to offend you or to ask for money that isn't there - I was just trying to figure out our finances. Because I now have a better understanding of things on your end, I want you to know that I voided the check you wrote to me. Although I do appreciate the thought, that's not what I was after. As I said, I just wanted to have a better understanding of our expenses. I love you immensely and I am so sorry for the way I obviously came off in that conversation.
Please don't hold last night against me.
Love,
A
I don't want to be passive aggressive, but I totally cannot respond right now.
I'm so sorry Whit. I know exactly how you feel -- I could have killed Tim when he rented that Jax house for the same cost as our mortgage! And I completely resent having to take care of all the things he did when he lived here full time while still holding down two jobs.
I suggest you two talk about finances when you're both calmer. C is yours (W & A) now, and you shouldn't shoulder that cost alone! I can't believe he lets you do that. Tim and I are about to get a joint account to go along with our separate ones. I want us to pay bills and save with joint money so we aren't keeping track of who makes/spends what.
You also shouldn't do all the housework. That's just unfair. He may be busy, but so are you. I really suggest talking about that or you'll become resentful. Being part of a family does not mean shouldering the burden all by yourself. I think we as women often try to talk ourselves into doing everything when we don't need to. Call me if you need to talk.
I am glad he apologized. Please take care of yourself honey. Money is a HUGE trigger for me too. I suggest a "division of labor" and a "division of funds". But that's just my knowledge from psychology 101 (and a few thousand more). :) (I liked that little sarcasm in there...but I'd have never known you didn't take psych courses!) xoxo.
well, if A wants to be Daddy/ is Daddy then that comes with some responsibilities that do not fit into any kind of check list or financial cost division thingy. and everyone else who is wondering needs to be aware that C is not just some cute little sassy bit of awesomeness for them to enjoy without comprehending that C is their grandkid, etc. so if the problem is that A is providing for you and C then they best all check themselves because C is the child of both A and you as far as everyone is usually concerned. now if that is not how they see it when thinking of money, they need to adjust their mindset.
and you and A are married so----in my non lawyer mind----unless y'all signed some sort of prenup you and A both own a store and you and A both pay for the rent/ cable/ utilities/ food/ medication/ pre school/ gas/ etc. it is all your collective set of expenses. isn't that how a judge would see it if there were a divorce? or if there were some kind of civil suit brought against one of you?
so you may not bring home a pay check that is the same amount as the one he brings home. but if you vacuum, do dishes, cook, clean the bathroom, bathe C, straighten up, get the groceries and other stuff----that's a job, too. and if you weren't there to do that someone else would. and sure, A stays busy with his store so he may be working longer hours there while these things need to be done. ok, so maybe you could get a second job that would allow you to bring home a check. if a check is what would define your contribution.
how much would it cost y'all to pay someone to do the cooking, cleaning, grocery getting, C minding? i just checked on one company in your area that someone hired which consisted of 2 people who spent 4 hours doing cleaning and it cost $250 --- the company got good reviews from everyone but the guy who posted the price. so per person say the rate is $125 for 4 hours. my calculator says that is $31.25 an hour. but you need at least one day's notice to get them going AND they can only do it from 9am until 5pm. this company also does errands, etc. they could run someone's life for them---probably even feed the cats and do the litter box. well, except the C part. that's gotta be someone else.
you've got them beat because you are on site, drop of the hat, 24/7 i would say. am i right? so $31.25 for every hour you spend cleaning, put that on a check. it's a conservative effort, too, since you have the on site, no pre booking, 24/ 7 aspect.
but then there is C which would be an added cost if you were out doing this cleaning at another person's place, running their errands and all. how much is a child care professional/ nanny? i know you can get a college student but they may not have the expertise of someone like you. you've got an MA and how many languages? experience teaching! and what else, 3 years ongoing experience beginning at conception. that's a lot of credentials...if you are out doing the cleaning/ errand thing someone needs to be taking care of C if A can't be there. that could be pricey. IF you could find one coming close to your standards.
i'm guessing C sometimes requires some attention in the wee hours of the morning and late at night and you and A----if you took on the cleaning position in addition to your other job at the firm would both require a full night's worth of sleep. so this care for C thing would be out of control expensive. you'd have to get a live in person for that.
it sounds like you are the cheapest person to take on the cleaning/ errand/ etc job considering that you ALSO perform the C job when doing it at the same time when A isn't there. a 16 year old sitter would require at least $10/ hour and only be available until what---midnight at most? so say you take that rate, and you take the $31.25/ hour rate from the cleaning folks.
you're beating both of their rates because you're available at any time, all the time, and you've got more credentials. so say you charge for the whole thing $40/ hour---you're not only bringing more credentials, more experience, 24/7 service with out special training by home owner/ parent AND do not require another bedroom as would you the hired, "live in" version, SS/ medicare payments and all of that HR stuff.
so figure out that----$40/ hour you spend doing the work mentioned above. THEN add that total to your piddly check from your office job and see how much your financial contribution REALLY is to your household. i don't know what A's financial contribution is specifically nor do i know what yours is but this might help you figure out what exactly each of you is contributing in a "value" sort of thing. a little less alienation never heart anyone...
also, i meant hurt and not heart...and i also didn't mean to speak of your job at the firm in a pejorative manner by saying your check was piddly. mostly i meant that at $40/ hour you would be rolling in the cash if you got paid for your cooking/ cleaning/ caring gig.
i shared your story with my coworkers who suggested that A and his parentals have SUCH an interest in your spending habits that you could just contact them when you make a purchase. for example, "hey, A, i'm at the store and i wanted to know if you thought i could purchase an 8 pack roll of toilet paper for us." or, "hey A, i started my period so i need to pick up some tampons, is that ok?"
or they also suggested that you make a shopping list and email it to everyone who is asking and ask them if they think this list would be suitable for your trip. or make it afterwords and ask if there is anything that you ought return.
Whitters,
I am sorry. You are quite obviously none of these things (although I would be technically quite guilty of them both at the moment, at least in the eyes of society as I currently have no job and Matt does. But I am working on that (except that the one fingerprinter here got sick so my certification is now delayed which means my employment offer is delayed....grrrr). Anyway. noone should imply that about you! You are doing the best you can! I can tell you from experience that the in-law bit is really hard when you first get married, that being said, it seems to me like they have gone over the line with some things here. The best thing to do is to talk to A about it when you feel better, especially how the accusations make you feel. Matt and I have both been through employed/unemployed and pretty much by turn, even though we didnt plan it that way. In Florida, I had the big job while he finished his PhD. Then in West Virginia, he had the big job and i looked for a job for 3 months. I got a job, he lost his job for a semester. We moved here for his big job, I don't have one (but hopefully soon). I think we had seperate accounts and fought alot about money early on. But after moving, losing jobs, getting jobs we got a joint account and now talk about everything being our money. I am not saying or suggesting that that is the way to do it. Matt really manages the accounts and I do ask him permission when I don't work about any expenditures. Not saying that is good either. But it kinda works. The main thing is trust. A needs to trust you and there is no reason he should not, so if he does for some reason talking to him is best. And in-laws can be very intrusive (especially if they are in the same state). But A should trust you above anything his parents say, and getting to the bottom of that is important. Please, please don't take it personally (I know thats hard to do). But the truth is you are a hard worker and doing the best you can. A probably does not realize the extent of the money you have to pay for the things you are used to paying. It will get better though with time (I promise :)
Matt and I also have an unwritten rule that i developed about the housework bit. It is never anyone's job to do everything, ever. This meant that when he was unemployed last semester, I bit my tongue alot and did not "expect" him to do everything just because he was home. I was intentional about doing the dishes sometimes, cooking sometimes, etc. This is because I do not feel that "housework" should ever be considered someone's job, but something to be shared depending on the task, the time, whatever. Even stay-at-home moms need a break. Now because I gave him a break then, he is giving me a break now (all of this unspoken). I do more around the house now than he did when he was out of work, but we still plan things together. We always grocery shop together, I do dishes and make dinner, he does bathrooms. It really does get better. I have found the best thing to do is to not get angry but ask him for help when I need it in a nice way. He will usually do it and not make a fuss. All of this has taken a lot of fighting, some drinking, etc. to accomplish. I wish I had been a bit nicer earlier on. I hope some of that helps
Post a Comment