01 March 2010

Quotes that I like


Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you? ~ Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man 

"A language is a map of our failures."
Adrienne Rich

"We defend ourselves with descriptions and tame the world by generalizations."
Iris Murdoch

"With the gift of listening comes the gift of healing."
Catherine de Hueck Doherty

"We have created trouble for ourselves in organizations by confusing control with order."
Margaret J. Wheatley

"Most people see what they want to, or at least what they expect to."
Martha Grimes

"Some things are best mended by a break."
Edith Wharton

"The fullness of life is in the hazards of life."
Edith Hamilton

"If you don't risk anything, you risk even more."
Erica Jong

"What am I? Nothing. What would I be? Everything."
Marie Bashkirtseff
"The poet's expression of joy conceals his despair at not having found the reality of joy."
Max Jacob

"We should all be considered about the future because we will have to spend the rest of our lives there."
C.F. Kettering

"I am a native in this world
And think in it as a native thinks."
Wallace Stevens
“Most writers of verse have several different personalities. The ideal is to find a style or a method that includes them all.”
Ted Hughes The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

Life has been your art. You have set yourself to music. Your days are your sonnets.

I dislike modern memoirs. They are generally written by people who have either entirely lost their memories, or have never done anything worth remembering.

It is only the superficial qualities that last. Man's deeper nature is soon found out.

The fact is, the public make use of the classics of a country as a means of checking the progress of Art. They degrade the classics into authorities. They use them as bludgeons for preventing the free expression of Beauty in new forms.


Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer.

To do nothing at all is the most difficult thing in the world, the most difficult and the most intellectual.

The intellect is not a serious thing, and never has been. It is an instrument on which one plays, that is all.

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.


Oh, duty is what one expects from others, it is not what one does oneself.

There are many things that we would throw away if we were not afraid that others might pick them up.

Society exists only as a mental concept; in the real world there are only individuals.

When the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers.

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.

The advantage of the emotions is that they lead us astray.


There is no such thing as an omen. Destiny does not send us heralds. She is too wise or too cruel for that.

A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.


A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.

The true critic is he who bears within himself the dreams and ideas and feelings of myriad generations, and to whom no form of thought is alien, no emotional impulse obscure.


Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing.

Misfortunes one can endure -- they come from outside, they are accidents. But to suffer for one's own faults -- Ah! there is the sting of life.


One's real life is so often the life that one does not lead.

Nothing is so dangerous as being too modern; one is apt to grow old fashioned quite suddenly.

Always forgive your enemies -- nothing annoys them so much.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.


What is said of a man is nothing. The point is, who says it.

The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame.
It is only the superficial qualities that last. Man's deeper nature is soon found out.
There is no such thing as a moral book or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. That is all.



Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live; it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. And unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them. Selfishness always aims at uniformity of type. Unselfishness recognizes infinite variety of type as a delightful thing, accepts it, acquiesces in it, enjoys it.


Each of the professions means a prejudice. The necessity for a career forces every one to take sides. We live in the age of the overworked, and the under-educated; the age in which people are so industrious that they become absolutely stupid.

How clever you are, my dear! You never mean a single word you say.

Everything popular is wrong.


She lacks the indefinable charm of weakness.


There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.


I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect.


The well bred contradict other people. The wise contradict themselves.


If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life.
"He who can take advice is sometimes superior to him who can give it."


"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark place where it leads."

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."

"No one to blame! That was why most people led lives they hated, with people they hated. How wonderful to have someone to blame! How wonderful to live with one's nemesis! You may be miserable, but you feel forever in the right. You may be fragmented, but you feel absolved of all the blame for it. Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame."

"Perhaps all artists were, in a sense, housewives: tenders of the earth household."

"I have not ceased being fearful, but I have ceased to let fear control me. I have accepted fear as part of life specifically fear of change and fear of the unknown;and I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says, turn back, turn back,you'll die if you venture too far."


"Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk everything, you risk even more."


"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."

""But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
__________________________________________________
"Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
_____________________
"'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir,' said Alice, 'Because I'm not myself you see.'"


"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."


"Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way."

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense."

"How puzzling all these changes are! I'm never sure what I'm going to be, from one minute to another."

"You are no more or less who you now are than all the masks you have worn and all the posturing you have demonstrated along the way. All of it are integral parts of an identity that seeks resolution, not in the act of discarding what was, but in the act of integrating all of it into the composite of what Is."

-Rasha


"...if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

"If you set to work to believe everything, you will tire out the believing-muscles of your mind, and then you'll be so weak you won't be able to believe the simplest true things."


Always speak the truth, think before you speak, and write it down afterwards.

“And how do you know that you're mad? "To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?" I suppose so, said Alice. "Well then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags it's tale when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad.""

"Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle."

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
— The Mad Hatter"

"...an ability to recognize a situation in which you are traveling and not arrived, in which you have cause both to celebrate and to fight, in which the world is always being made and is never finished.

A better world, yes; a perfect world, never."
Rebecca Solnit

"In all chaos, there is a cosmos, in all disorder, a secret order."
(Jung)

Consider within yourself, whether you have always shown gratitude to those to whom you owe it, whether no one's kindness has ever been wasted upon you, whether you constantly bear in mind all the benefits which you have received. You will find that those which you received as a boy were forgotten before you became a man; that those bestowed upon you as a young man slipped from your memory when you became an old one. Some we have lost, some we have thrown away, some have by degrees passed out of our sight, to some we have willfully shut our eyes....
(Seneca, On Benefits)

"There are words, which can change reality, and there is reality, which has nothing to do with words"
-Yukio Mishima

"For a large class of cases---though not for all---in which we employ the word 'meaning' it can be defined thus: the meaning of a word is its use in the language."
--Ludwig Wittgenstein

"She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it).

"We must not allow other people's limited perceptions to define us." 
 Virginia Satir 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are all wonderful. Thank you.