Okay, so only two things come to mind. One is a stupid Tiger Woods advert for condoms, saying something about "sometimes you want to play more than one hole."
Women = holes for the pleasure of men
I'm not sorry, but that's not funny. And considering that he cheated on his wife--and ruined his family!--it's really pretty fucking tasteless. If Tiger wants to make a comeback, what's so hard about taking the high road?
Okay, enough about Woods.
Now onto the message A just sent me today. He's recently found stumbledupon, and sent me this:
Being super lame, I don't find this funny. And by the way, that was total sarcasm at the super lame. A isn't aware of it, but this is the exact sort of harassment I faced day-in and day-out all four years I was in graduate school studying philosophy. Usually it was about how "girls" cannot do logic, and the professors would walk in, see this on the board, and do nothing. Maybe smirk. Maybe erase it. Although usually, they would leave it up for the first half of class until they needed that part of the board.
He literally just sent this stupid image to me, and I'm posting in the meager attempt to calm down so I can make a point more clearly to him about how offensive that is. I feel like replying:
"Wow, I didn't realize you felt that way about C, me, your mother, your sister, etc."
I also feel like pointing out where the logic is unsound. I may do that to just be a smart-ass. My psychologist said once, "No wonder you majored in philosophy, logic is a coping tool for you."
I am, no doubt, one of the guys and that's cool. But sexism is not. And this...is blatant, in your face, piss-me-off sexism. A, I know, thinks it's a joke. In fact, my silence to him on FB as I write this was:
"Obviously that last one was a joke. I thought you might find it sarcastically funny. I really need to get the hell off of the internet!"
Given how many people would think this is true, it's not a joke.
Given my past sexual harassment experiences, it's not a joke.
Given the passive nature at which bystanders watched one of the times I was sexually assaulted, it's not funny.
Ugh.
Okay...calmer now. Off to compose a response...or maybe not. I have work to do.
UPDATE:
This is the response I wrote, but have yet to send:
Wow, that takes me back to grad school when some of my peers would write that sort of thing on the white boards and the male professor would come in, read it, chuckle, and then leave it up there for the next 3 hours.
The logic is unsound. The first premise could be false. If we grant charitably that the first premise is true, then the same could be said for boys.
Also, since money and time are equal, then there are more problems with that, and girls could very well equal "flies" (time flies).

No comments:
Post a Comment