02 November 2010

Links to Distract You While Awaiting Election Day Results


To entertain (and outrage you, and make you scratch your head thinking, "WTF?!") as you as you await (hopefully good) election day results.
·         Concerned that your birth control pills are polluting the water supply with hormones?
Check this out, and read the conclusion that “runoff from large animal farms could contribute to waterway contamination, in part because – unlike household waste – livestock effluents are untreated.”
·         File under “D’uh” on why we need universal health care now.
·         This advertisement, courtesy of New York State, is absolutely nauseating, fat-phobic, not based on health, and fails to actually solve the problem that water is more expensive than a soda. I’m not in love with soda, nor do I drink it on a daily or even weekly basis. But like all foods, it has it’s time and place. Moderation anyone? Making water free and readily available?
·         A nice, albeit not thorough but certainly entertaining, walk-through of queer history.
·         Not familiar with what happens when being female meets economics? Why, you get feminomics, of course.
·         Disappointment and betrayal came from many came when Stephan Fry as he opined that women only have sex for money or to manipulate a man. I know, I know…I can hear your outrage. This is a polite response to Mr. Fry’s unfortunate and most erroneous views.
·         Then go and read this article slamming Ms. magazine’s article concerning atheism and feminism. (Wait, aren’t all feminists godless heathens? Oh, right. Godless heathen is different than atheist. Silly me, always forgetting this.) I haven’t read the Ms. article yet, but I want to wait until I’m able to be more critical and less reactionary. The review didn’t sit well with me, but I’m not going into more detail at this point.
·         Johnny Cash’s daughter defends her father’s name and rightfully attacks a comment from House Minority Leader Boehner.
·         An expose on doctors who sell out to pharmaceutical companies. Excellent read.
·         Burqa bans as forced emancipation.
·         Is there any logic with the lines,  
“We welcome the hoards of male tourists who come here to have sex with our world-class prostitutes, but we find abhorrent the thought of them sitting down in one of our cafes to enjoy a quiet joint….This is not the image of Amsterdam that we are trying to cultivate.  Fornicate with sex workers, yes, sitting down for a quiet smoke, absolutely not.”
·         And yes, there is some good news to be found!
·         Last but most certainly not least, your daily dose of absurdity. Baby Monkey + Piggy Back Ride = This. The song makes it.  

1 comment:

elle said...

Thursday night we were in a hot tub and this guy who looked like Larry David came strolling up to get in (who gets in a hot tub with two much younger women that he doesn't know without expecting to be totally creepy?) and he told us he was staying there while involved in some farm run off into the Everglades case that had been going on for ages. Of course the conversation naturally turned to birth control in waste water, effeminate fish and muffin tops of lady products.

Sure, you can bring the creepy mister, but we'll take it to another level!