Because calling this Meta-Circumcision seems in appropriate somehow…
Throughout this entire pregnancy, I have been able to allow myself to be fully, emotionally alive and involved—hence, so many passionate posts here about, in all honesty, matters that aren’t that big in the whole scheme of life. I’ve also kept a thoughtful, observant eye on things I’ve found Curious.
One such thing that is truly, truly Curious is the way I have observed privilege as a determining factor in a person’s opinions concerning circumcision.
One such thing that is truly, truly Curious is the way I have observed privilege as a determining factor in a person’s opinions concerning circumcision.
This is not a scientific study. This is merely what I have observed and been pondering for months.
[When I use the term “man” and “woman” here, I am talking about DNA, not what gender the person identifies with most.]
When I first started talking to others about circumcision, I discovered that women were more likely than men to have really thought this issue out. Many guys, it seems, have just taken their own life experience as empirical evidence that whatever was done or not done to their penis was the “norm” and probably the best way to go.
Women, obviously, do not have such empirical evidence to use. We do not know what it’s like to spend all of your life with something dangling between your legs.
What women do have, though, is an over-whelming sense of being told what our bodies naturally are and what they do is could be improved upon or worse, is just wrong/shameful/should be hidden. We bleed once a month and it’s “gross”. I still overhear people joke, “How can you trust something that bleeds once a month?” [WTF? Seriously, people! That's so medieval of you.] As young girls, we are made aware that we will be judged first on our physical appearance. If we pass muster, then and only then will be considered for something more meaningful, like our intellect. We learn that slim is better, but don’t get too carried away, dammit. (Yes, I’ve been told my ED was just “getting carried away on a diet.” Right. I suppose my ownership of stock in Kimberly-Clark, maker of Kleenex, is why it’s advantageous I suffer from depression, too.)
We are so inundated by these that I feel it’s safe to say most young girls have internalized this, to some extent, before their age reaches a number with double-digits.
We are so inundated by these that I feel it’s safe to say most young girls have internalized this, to some extent, before their age reaches a number with double-digits.
Even throughout pregnancy, I am reminded (by mainstream culture) a natural birth is the best way to go, but don’t be a difficult patient for your doctor or midwife during labor. Be nice. Don’t yell or curse in labor. Oh, and do be ashamed of every aspect of labor, okay, ladies? I mean, our bodies are gross, and that whole water-breaking thing is just icky.
And I think it is perhaps through this lens that women may approach the idea of circumcision from a very different mindset of men.
As grown women who survived and managed to negotiate all these messages that our bodies are all we’re worth and by the way, that body of yours needs some improvement, we are wary. We are skeptical.
WHY does this boy’s body need to be changed?
WHY is it “not good enough” as is, as we humans (and mammals) evolved?
We, as women, are all familiar with the practice that 10 years ago, was still politely called “female circumcision.” Remember that?! Waaay back, like 10 years ago, definitely 15 years ago—when people still said, “female circumcision” instead of that trendy new phrase in use now: female genital mutilation.
What is the difference?
When I first noticed such a strong and distinct gap, I wondered if it was because the women I first spoke with about this were moms. As mothers, we are biased. But the gap amongst the biological sexes remained when I expanded to talking to more people without children.
So I’m left wondering: do women approach the whole circumcision debate with their wariness of a societally-mandated norm?
4 comments:
I have a completely different take on pregnancy and birth and all of that from you- it may possibly have to do with me not being a mom or even at a place in my life where that is something I can fully wrap myself around at all. I don't know that I have a desire to ever be pregnant and give birth to a child that would be mine. I know some people feel this over whelming need to have a being grow inside of them and experience the process of everything- I don't have that. I don't know if it is related to me not really knowing if I COULD carry a child to term, etc- medically and all...
Anyway- at this point in my life (and for years now) I have felt that should I become pregnant that I would be one of those people who would never, ever consider a natural birth of ANY kind. Frankly the idea of being conscious during a c-section is just too much for me. And that might be selfish of me but I know that when someone tries to take blood from me I really have to work in order to not curse them out thoroughly (I now have that strength; several years back I did not and I do recall using some special language one particular time).
Maybe our educational environment gave both of us this view on circumcision- anyone I know who is politically oriented sees it as something very strange that our culture does to babies and they've had conversations with their partners about it. People seem to have strong opinions about things and when those are things that immediately involve you and your partner I think that whatever decision you make is what is right for you at that moment in your life.
I don't know that I've done much in my life that met various socially mandated norms. Maybe I have and just don't notice it since I'm so closely following them?!?
I guess Im really glad that our only child will be a girl. I mean, is a girl. I guess I also feel a bit odd in replying to this as I feel I am now a bit guilty as charged about the whole body issue. The reason is that I have 98% talked my husband into getting a vasectomy. The lack of regard I felt about my body from other people and how unimportant I felt has made me so adamant about him getting one. Taking one for the team and all of that. I dont know what I would do if I had a boy and I know its a different issue entirely but I guess I feel not in the best place to respond to this right now for fear of being a hypocrite. I have become a bit vindictive about men's bodies, I guess. Like if I had my body messed up so should you. I know thats kind of wrong. But a kid? Yeah no way could I see that really. I mean if it bothered the kid I think is where Im at with it. Actually Whit we are facing a different cosmetic isue with Brande. Her dad feels her ears are attached a bit low making them look really exceptionally large and he has talked to me about a really great doctor in Gville who could work on them. Obviously we want to wait to let her grow into them regardless and then see. But I am of the opinion it should be her choice if she gets picked on and it bothers her. I think ideally noone should pick on anyone else but I hate my nose and I do still kind of wish I could get a nose job. So bc I feel that way I at least think Brande should have the choice if she wants... does that make me awful? I dont know.... kisses
aly
I think your analysis of why the opinions of the men and women you've spoken with about this issue categorically differ is pretty accurate.
On a different note, to maximize the benifit of your stock in Kimberly-Clark, you could also eat the facial tissue in place of food to fuel ED, as well as use it to blow your nose when you cry as a result of depression.
*benefit
Post a Comment