I took a brief break from the internet over the last week or two. C’s birthday, Christmas, migraines, recovering from migraine while watching VH1’s One-hit Wonders of the 1980’s with an old, inspiring and amazing friend, and New Years demanded my full attention.
Pregnancy update:
I feel huge. Gigantic. And I feel massively unattractive, too. Not because I’m huge, but just because…well, that’s complicated. But if you read this regularly, I’m sure you can hazard a guess.
I feel huge. Gigantic. And I feel massively unattractive, too. Not because I’m huge, but just because…well, that’s complicated. But if you read this regularly, I’m sure you can hazard a guess.
Some very good news, however! Upon meeting with my ob-gyn, he was delighted I wanted to go into labour on my own. “You should be the poster child for what women need to do!” He laughed when I asked him if he would allow me to start labour on my own (assuming everything else is fine). “I’ve never had that request. Most women don’t want to be in pain, and I have no idea what that’s like, but I know I’d be asking for a planned delivery just because I’m such a wuss about my own pain!”
So…it pays to go to a doctor who believes in choice, in autonomy of the patient, and who respects women.
He admitted that yes, allowing me to start labour on my own could throw off his schedule that day, but he said that “it’s most important to me that you feel comfortable and in control. You tell me what you want, I’ll do it.”
Damn. Every ob-gyn should be this awesome.
He spent a lot of time with us, and doing another ultrasound of E, baby boy. (Yes, it was again confirmed he is, in fact, very male anatomically speaking). This resulted in Dr. B doing charting his growth, which shows that he is in the 20th percentile in most every category except for the length of his femur, which somehow measures in the 80th percentile.
A looked quite panicked at this, even though Dr. B seemed just fine with it. A launched into a series of questions about why the baby is so small, which I knew were “does ContraWhit’s eating disorder have anything to do with this?” I’m 34 weeks pregnant, and he still doesn’t understand that eating three large meals a day is Out. Of. The. Question. Or that crackers, cheese, and fruit is a small meal.
Given that I have gained a nice 54 lbs thus far, I wasn’t really worried about that. Dr. B explained to A that this was genetics—neither of us were huge at birth, and neither of us are huge now (save for me, but that’s supposedly a baby or something.)
A looked quite panicked at this, even though Dr. B seemed just fine with it. A launched into a series of questions about why the baby is so small, which I knew were “does ContraWhit’s eating disorder have anything to do with this?” I’m 34 weeks pregnant, and he still doesn’t understand that eating three large meals a day is Out. Of. The. Question. Or that crackers, cheese, and fruit is a small meal.
Given that I have gained a nice 54 lbs thus far, I wasn’t really worried about that. Dr. B explained to A that this was genetics—neither of us were huge at birth, and neither of us are huge now (save for me, but that’s supposedly a baby or something.)
Lessons learned and a note about C, pregnancy hormones, and guilt:
I learned at that appointment and at C’s doctor’s appointment this morning that VBAC is probably a horrible option with A. He might have been okay with it, but he has absolutely no patience with doctors, with waiting, etc. And I get annoyed by his lack of acceptance that he cannot control everything, and that it isn’t unprofessional for a doctor to be late seeing you (because he’s an ob-gyn and, oh, might have to deliver a baby unexpectedly), and that it isn’t unprofessional for C’s paed to be talkative because that, in part, helps C relax on the day she’s getting three vaccinations and a diagnosis of asthma. :(
NB: Diagnosis of Asthma in your 4 year old + Pregnancy Hormones = Horrible Maternal Guilt About Asthma and a lot of reminding oneself humbly of things that are and are not in my control, specifically that her lungs are not in my control, but I can help manage this.
New Year’s Resolutions (which I have never really done. If you want change, do it when you realize it needs to be done, don’t wait for some arbitrary date.)
1. Have baby.
2. Lose 50 + lbs, which I’m assuming will happen the same way it happened after I had C. On its own. Without my interference.
As for what happens after that, I don’t know. But I’m open to whatever the Fates throw my way. I realize there is no way of controlling the future.
5 comments:
can we just clarify that by "old" you don't mean that this friend is ancient in age? i'm just saying- this friend turned 31 and a few days later got carded in the Miami metro area so let's pretend this friend looks REALLY young. and thin. and has no health problems and has an excellent memory and organizational skills, can sing, dance, write, etc better than most people...
so, yeh...you are NOT gigantic. but i get that you feel that way. i feel that way about myself and i hate it and it consumes me sometimes... but you really do carry your baby related weight very well. you may feel gross but darling you look amazing! from the back you look like you, then you turn around and you've got your little bump and everyone sees that this lovely lady is pregnant. you look great and you are great! and you cook very, very yummy food, too. and you're a great mom!
i would NEVER have thought of C's noise as asthma! the folks at school never mentioned it did they? i mean, they see C running around being crazy with the other kids and all of that and they've probably seen tons of asthma... did your mom think of it? but you guys took her in to the doc and now you can handle it. and H can help her learn the best way to manage it and also help you help C the best way. and C will help too- i've never seen a kid take meds as well as she did and certainly never seen anyone so politely ask for her vitamins!!!
did you get her allergies tested? i told you about my old boy who found out he was allergic to dogs after leaving for college- she's not allergic to the pets is she?
ok- this weight loss goal for 2011- i don't like that. since you asked!!!!
can you look at that differently? because 1) you're not losing it- you're transferring some of that to E and 2) you may be able to build some muscles schlepping around 2 kids and all that goes along with them and those weigh a bit more than non- muscle weight. so you may be transferring more of it in that way as well. and 3) some of that is in the boob-al area and will be utilized by E (and probably by you and A in different ways). and 4) i don't want you to get hooked up on a number if it might be something that causes you to have difficulty!
you are an amazing woman and i am soooooooo proud to have a life that includes you and your darling little family! i can't wait to meet E, can't wait to see C and A and LK and L and the extended folks but most especially i cannot wait to see YOU again!!!!
also- i've been bragging on the out of this world darlingness of A's hope chest. so sweet!!!
The weight loss thing was a joke. I have to have a sick sense of humour about it, and about all the dumb weight-loss ads around me right now. Don't worry, Elle.
ok- just making sure! it sounds like you had a tough day and i know it had to be especially hard having to part with me and not be able to watch 80s videos and all of that... ;)
I love you, treehouse Wifey.
Resolution # 4 . . . tell C and E all about treehouse village.
xo ((squiiish)) xo
AWESOME news about your ob/gyn regarding natural birth. I'm so happy to hear this.
I'm very sorry, though, to learn of C's asthma diagnosis. :(
And I agree with you about New Year's resolutions -- change should happen all the time!
Post a Comment