15 May 2012

I feel nugatory.


I haven’t posted in too long, and now…I need to vent.

A quick summary of the past few months: At the end of March, I was driving home and my vision started to go. I managed to get home safely (bless you, maternal instinct) and Fate had it that A was home early. I couldn’t see to put the key in the lock, and A opened the door.

“I can’t see.” I stumbled inside. He led me to the couch, got me a glass of cold water…and the last thing I remember is staring that that cold water, about 2 feet (most) on the coffee table, thinking how it was too far.

I woke up in the hospital, groggy, disoriented, and shaking uncontrollably.
What I learned later was that my family saw my eyes roll back in my head on the couch at home, I started moving erratically, and A believes I stopped breathing so he gave me brief CPR (and that’s how I had a bruise on my chest.) He also called 911, and I “came to” while 5 male paramedics were holding me down. I have no memory (luckily) but I apparently believed they were home invaders. So do you calm me down? Nah. And so I tried—and did—fight them off! Go me! But alas, I’m no match for a freakin’ antipsychotic shot dosed for a 250 lb man to shoot me up with. Morons.

I was in the hospital for 48 hours. Every test was run, and they all came back normal. My heart is good, my brain is fine (weird right?) etc.

So then two or so weeks ago—after going a month—it happened again at work. No hospitalization, thank god. I mean, after all, Ms. Uninsured here is looking at a now 15K plus bill, which is close to 2/3 of my salary.

Classy.

So anyway. I’m tired and pissed at people, good intentions, absolute misunderstanding of ED, dismissal of me, and the fact that—well, I’ll start with the thing I’m most pissed at:

1. A believes it’s my parents responsibility to help me out (financially/health insurance wise). Ouch and go f-yourself. Did we get married or not? Have I not begged him for over the past year to put me (AND THE KIDS!) on his health insurance.
Yes, that’s right, folks. My partner has health insurance, always has. But me…Ha.
 
2. My parents believe it’s A’s responsibility to help me out. I tend to believe this as well, given my not-super-nice comment in #1. However…I do not tell either party that they think the other is responsible, and so I feel pinched in a bind.

3. Since A can’t get his ass in gear (and god forbid I’m a day late doing a goddamn thing) with *my* health insurance, this absolutely feeds into my feelings of worthlessness.
4. A does not believe my neurologist diagnosed me correctly with convulsive syncope. Instead, he is certain *ALL* my problems—from migraines to depression—stem from my ED.

5. A knows little about ED, and the bit he does know he’s read from pretty poor sites—or gotten a message that I absolutely didn’t take away from the site (such as something-fishy.org)

6. Given this lack of knowledge, A has taken a “tough love” approach which has triggered my ED beyond words.

7. If we try to talk about my history of ED, A dismisses any and everything I say with something along the lines of, “You’re just justifying your ED.”

I think there is a big difference between justification and explanation of something you’ve had for over 20 years.

So much more I want to say….
Did I mention how worthless I feel?

Too fucking pissed off.

(And don’t tell me couples counseling, that’s a damn no-brainer or I’m taking off. His comments about my ED make me feel like a shit mom, a shit human being, and pretty unworthy.)

How adolescent it is to quote songs, but “I’ve got a new complaint/forever in debt to your priceless advice.”

Good intentions, I get.

Good intentions that are causing harm—well, let’s just say for someone as “sick” as I supposedly am (no doctor thinks I am struggling), I know I deserve better.

And I have to post this, ugly and angry as it is, because I can’t say anything to him or write anything to him until I calm down.

(Just got a text message saying he ate a hot dog, omg. I can’t really care. I so, so, so want to disappear, and goddammit, am I not more than “anorexic?” Fuck yeah I am.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did your vision go in 1 eye? Vision can be serious and whenever anyone says vision, I think brain tumor like my Mom had. I am really hoping they got you an MRI. And I dont want to scare you by saying that but vision and headaches were what my mom had, that and towards the end, walking in a diagonal line. At any rate, I cant believe and it saddens me that A would blame this on your ED or not give you his health insurance, omg I would be irate. Gah I cant believe people around you would be so simple minded. Try try try to remember that other people's ignorance does not define your value. Their lack of understanding does not make you less. I am definetly in no position to tell you how to deal with A though, as my own marraige has been so up and down and if not for not having a full time job I was very close to getting a divorce. So I cant tell you anything there. But having been called names, verbally berated (some of which I deserved other of which was not proprtionate to what I said) I know how easy it is to believe the negativity. But I know you, I know your passion, I know your kindness and I know you have value. Remember you have value. Dont let anyone make you think otherwise. You have value to me, but more importantly you have intrinsic value. Call me if you like, 352-672-1459, love you. Aly

Anonymous said...

And sigh, I hate the tough love approach! For my, I guess minor ED, oh yes Matt has given me the tough love approach in response to my gentle admonishments to quit smoking. Like they are somehow equal. For the record I have never overly bugged him about quitting but I have when he pisses me off. Because he has constant backaches, muscle aches, but when I have a physical problem its my ED, and its so irresponsible of me, ad nauseum. Gah. I hate it. Drives me nuts. Oh, it sucks. I am sorry for that for you...
aly

Unknown said...

I don't think erectile dysfunction causes naugahydism.

Anonymous said...

Hugs, hugs, hugs. I am so sorry this happened to you again. I hope that you & A can come to some terms of agreement regarding health insurance. Couple's counseling has done WONDERS for Tim and I. And A can put it on *his* health insurance. ;) Let me know if you need anything at all.

And I agree with Aly. You have value: intrinsic, as a mother, wife, friend, community gatherer, feminist organizer, philosopher, daughter, sister, I could go on. Not many people I know could (almost) singlehandedly raise two children, work full time, and run a successful community gathering group!

Lots of love, L

Dysmonia said...

I am sorry to hear about your health problems of late. I have not been there for you through any of this, and that's shitty of me. I'm also sorry about the struggle between you and A regarding ED. It sounds like the way he is handling things is the last thing you need.

Good for you for putting up a good fight against the paramedics! Impressive. And those fuckers can be awful.

On a related note, given your treatment by the paramedics; and your statement, "Good intentions I get. Good intentions that are causing harm --" strike me with irony and possible hypocrisy, given what you did to me tonight. I am not trying to be rude or unkind. It's an observation.

Are you worried about your credit? If you're willing to sacrifice it, you don't have to pay any of those hospital bills.

Best wishes to you.

Nicole said...

Of course I thought epilepsy but it doesn't sound just right. I very briefly googled your diagnosis. Have they looked at your heart and done stress tests, etc?

He needs to get you on his insurance. This is serious! I know you know this but I am angry for you.

This sounds like a money hole with health. He needs to understand it will possible bankrupt your family. And I kept my job for many many years, hell or high water, because Tom needs health care. We are married. When one is down the other has to shoulder more of the load. It is how it works! I know I am preaching to the choir, but I sorta feel like throttling him!!!!

And the ED stuff sounds completely bunk. There is clearly a different explanation. And the thought of you struggling to fight ED with someone triggering it makes me sad.

Is there anything I can do?

Anonymous said...

Just saw this...

Whit, are you seeing a counsellor? No, not couples, but for YOU? Someone that understands and a safe place to go and vent/work through your day to day struggles and triggers.

I started a recovery group a couple months ago. I mean, it's not perfect but it helps to be in the company of other people that "get it". If it's an option for you, maybe you should look into that.

Fully aware that you know these things, I just wanted to be a reminder :)

Msg if you want/need to.

Mandy