06 July 2012

Confession

Okay, confession time

I've never admitted this, but I had a short term fling with someone in grad school. B knew about it and was okay with it. I never was okay with open relationships...but I did it anyway. Hindsight being 20-20, I suspect a lot of it had to do with looking for comfort/acceptance right after I was sexually harassed. After all, B was in Seattle, and I was in Florida...and I/we did it anyway.

B did KNOW and was "cool" with it. How the hell he was, I don't know. I wish I had been smarter and never let that happen. Even though B knew and was okay with it...it still feels to me like I was cheating. I'm not an open relationship person.

We were involved for a couple months. He got more attached than I did, offered to marry me, etc. Sigh. Stuff I'd rather not remember, but can't help BUT remember because...

...the guy is getting married tomorrow.

We were not suited for each other long term. It was a fling. My one and only. We had been awesome friends, got hot and heavy, then went back to being friends over the years.

I love him. I won't lie. Not in love with him, but he's a damn good guy.

Tonight, I am by myself. I have been feeling pretty alone in my marriage for the past couple weeks. I've told A this, but it falls on deaf ears. In his attempt to quit smoking, he's replaced on addiction with another--drinking heavily.

Sigh.

So tonight...I'm feeling...I don't know. Mostly happy, but perhaps a tad envious due to a massive case of the grass is greener. (I woke up in a super pissed off mood which has lingered all day.)

Okay, judge away. I don't care. Or I do. I don't know. It's not like I have anyone else I can think of to confess to.


5 comments:

lynn plp said...

Whit, I've got similar skeletons in my closet. And some days, the grass really seems greener elsewhere. Or maybe just easier to maintain. If there is any solace to be found, it's that in every patch of grass there is always some issue, whether easily visible or hidden deep below the surface. Oddly, I find this thought immensely comforting. Peace to you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

No judgement here.

I think almost everyone has something like this in their past, at the least.

I actually went through my msgs to find you here so I could see how you are, what's on your mind etc.

I'm sorry you're feeling alone. I am listening and here if you want to talk.

Mandy

Dysmonia said...

My judgment is: you didn't do anything wrong! You did something that served a purpose at the time, you were honest with your partner about it, you experienced it, learned from it, and it's part of your past.

Regardless of the details of the situation, it's always odd when a former love/lover/fling/relationship gets married, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Oh Whit, I so feel for you and understand. My marraige has sucked alot too. The best I keep coming up with is, dang why aren't we lesbians because I would sure hook up with you and run away from assholes and have a great, respectful, life. I mean no offense about being a lesbian, or not, its just alot of times I emotionally get so upset with men. Then I read something like this from someone like you and Im just like, why. Anyway, no judgement, lots of hugs, and love. I am so sorry, please call if you like 352-672-1459.
aly :)

Amie said...

I said, skeletons are fine
your closet or mine?
we took turns recounting the
details of lost time
and when we had both
admitted it all
we sat back and laughed until we cried
we laughed beacause
the world isobsured and beautiful and small.