11 October 2012

I don't deserve this.


Asking someone how they are can be dangerous.

But the purpose of my indulgent blog is to ask myself, “How am I?” Because I am very good at ignoring myself.

So…let’s see.

Things between A and I were good until Tuesday. 
I was at a NOW planning meeting, which he knew about. It lasted a little over 2 hours. No big deal.

But apparently, it was.

As we were wrapping up our meeting, I started getting text messages from A.

And here is our lovely *eye roll*  exchange:
A:            You left over 2 hours ago. Please come home.
Me:        We are finishing up the meeting.
A:            Something tells me it could have moved much faster. You drag this out.
Me:        Your tone of voice is lost over text. It sounds like you’re ordering me. I miss you all, bu you knew I had this and will be home shortly.
A:            I’m tired of NOW. You guys accomplish nothing. No tone of voice needed.

Holy fuck. I did not want to go home, but I did. His complaints:

1. NOW is a waste of time.
2. Activism is a waste of time.
3. If I’m not being paid for volunteering, it’s a waste of time.
4. He’s a better parent.
5. He thinks NOW is a support group for messed up people.
6. I am messed up because I have depression that is managed.
7. He wants to move out of state.
8. He thinks it’s my fault I got a full scholarship to law school in Boston but didn’t get into UF.
9.  He has the most amazing ability to know what I think and believe.

That’s what I remember…there was more about how horrible I am.

I really just tried to not listen or argue. He was clearly hell bent on being—well, abusive. My partner is emotionally abusive.
Yes, I sat there and realized I was being emotionally abused. I took a couple surveys just to verify, and yes, I am. (at least the kids were asleep...)

I went to the kitchen and saw several empty beer bottles. He had one in his hand.

He is emotionally abusive and awful when he’s drunk. Sober? He's the man I fell in love with.

Does he realize this the affect this has on our relationship? (No.)

Text message the next morning:
“I’m not sure what got into me last but I love you and I’m really sorry. REALLY SORRY.”

I’m sorry too. I'm sorry you were a jerk, nasty, and once you've said it, dear, it's there. Your cruel words linger in the air.

I’m sorry that he has an addiction he refuses to recognize.

And no—his apology is not sufficient. I want, need, and goddammit, I deserve change.

I’ve found myself very quiet. I think, from past experiences, the quiet is my way of carefully forming my thoughts and how best to express them.

But…I guess the good thing that came out of this is that I know I deserve better.

And those reading this probably can recognize this is a huge step forward for me.

I’m also not dwelling on it or letting it get me down or taking it personally. I recognize that I am not the problem.

It’s that evil alcohol. And it's up to him, honestly, if he's going to change.
 

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I HATE alcohol. My heart is breaking for you. I am so sorry I've been distant lately and self-involved, had no idea this was going on. xox. I hope A can get his act together-- those things are not true about you, you don't deserve this.

elle said...

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this- you shouldn't have to and you are so right! You deserve better!!! He needs to get himself straightened out, too. What is this about moving out of state? If he wants to move out of state then Boston would certainly be out of state...

lynn said...

Oh Whit. I'm so sorry. I hope A wakes up before it's too late. You don't deserve to come home to that. Ever.

Jacqueline said...

I'm glad you realise that you deserve better. I hope A acknowledges he has a problem and gets help. Thinking of you and sending many gentle hugs your way.

Anonymous said...

Whit, you got a full scholarship to BOSTON? I LIVE there! Fuck him and come on up woman! Bring the kiddies! For reals girl. I do hope your considering it, strongly. But thats selfish of me. The blog is about you, not how much I miss you and wish you lived near me. It does suck, you dont deserve it. Mainly, having dealt with, dealing with it now, dont lose yourself. Dont forget its not your fault. Dont let him bring you down... Dont let you emotions depend on his state of mind. Your awesome, period, always, and forever. Whatever you do, I respect it. Leave or stay, I know there is good cause for both (I know I really do), but you have to make the right choice for yourself at the time. Trust yourself to know the right thing, only you can know that. Love and hugs....
aly

elle said...

New plan: move to Boston because you have at the very least SOME support system there (I didn't know you had people there) and your parents and friends down yonder have certainly been amazing as a support system but this is a way for you to work on your dreams and goals. I'm done with A. Seriously DONE. You've gone way beyond meeting him halfway and trying to compromise and try doing things differently and trying to see things from another perspective- you've done all of that. As far as I can tell he's contributed to your dear little baby and some good times. I will (along with any number of other people) map out a chart of how to get you from point a to b and how to keep you going. I'm sorry I wasn't much help today- I'm struggling myself.

Dysmonia said...

As a drunk myself, I have had to modify my alcohol consumption in order to save and maintain relationships. I cannot imagine involving children in such a situation.

NOW is a waste of time and a support group for fucked up people? That really pisses me off. No offense meant, insulting your partner, but what a jerk.

You do deserve better.