I had an abortion this week.
Two abortions, two healthy births, two miscarriages.
I've been quiet and a healthy withdrawn. I didn't want to talk about it here until it was over. Some of you knew. I did reach out and talk to people about it.
I swear, the self-imposed/societal-imposed secrecy about abortion is the most harmful, dangerous thing.
The story:
TWO weeks ago I got a feeling, "I need to test." My period wasn't due for another 9 or 10 days, but I tested.
Bright positive. Four tests of bright positives.
And I just knew. My clothes fit differently. I felt different. Hungrier, tireder, more nauseous.
I made an appt to have a medical abortion (RU-486), and when I went, the doctor didn't see a pregnancy in the ultrasound.
"It could be too early, but it's probably a chemical pregnancy."
Oh, the relief! I hugged her and thanked her--it was the same doctor I saw in 2003. She is awesome. I'd share her name but that could make her a target. :/ Stupid people.
So...she wanted me to come back in two weeks, to check up on me.
And I went on Wednesday. Now, my period was 5 or 6 days late. I was still testing positive.
So I went by myself. That was my choice. I had lovely offers from some amazing friends to go with me. . . but going by myself was somehow what I needed.
My appt was at 1:15. The parking behind the clinic was full, so I had to park across the street and walk past the protestors.
One almost made me laugh. I kept my head up and avoided eye contact, but she was holding a doll the size of my almost 2 year old with a sign indicating that the doll represented--in size--a fetus of 4 months or something stupid like that.
If a fetus of 4 months weighs 25 lbs, that's just kinda more convincing to have an abortion, isn't it?
In the clinic the ultrasound revealed a pregnancy, about 6 weeks along. I requested and got a print out. I don't know why, but for some reason, the print out is of an odd comfort to me. It really just looks like there's a bubble in my uterus.
So, I took the one dose at the clinic, as instructed. New thing: I'm now allowed to insert the second dose after 12 hours! Thank god. In 2003, I had to wait 48 hours, and that wait was torture.
On Thursday, I took off work. I dropped C off at school, and didn't want to go home and deal with A and E. So I drove to Paynes Prairie, and sat by myself on the observation deck.
It calmed me. To sit, listen to just the wind, the birds, and feel--for a second--that I was the only one in the world, in the universe--as well as to remind myself of how many of my foremothers have done the same thing.
It's honestly humbling and empowering. I am in control of my body.
Again, it's the waiting and anticipation that sucks.
I got my Rx for pain medication and anti-emetic filled, then went home and took the anti-emetic. I didn't take the pain med because I realized it has acetaminophen in it, and my migraine meds that I take daily have acetaminophen also.
But it turns out, this medical abortion was vastly differently. In a good way.
An hour after taking the anti-nausea pills (which make you very sleepy!), I inserted the misopristol and lay on the couch with my feet propped up.
I woke up, three hours later?
No cramping.
I checked the pad. No blood?
I stood up. I felt the rush of blood.
I had to laugh at myself. D'uh. Gravity.
I drank some water, then jumped in a hot shower.
I am fairly certain I passed the pregnancy in the shower. Without pain. It was very natural. Very peaceful.
And drastically different than the labor-pains I had in 2003, but I expect that's partially because in 2003, I had no children, my cervix had never dilated, etc.
9 comments:
I saw the new picture you posted, it really got my attention and got me wondering about how you were doing. So, I came here... I certainly wasn't expecting to find this update. I am not sure what to say, but I wanted to say something so you know you are in my thoughts, that I am listening, I care and am here if you need anything.
I did the same thing as Mandy.
It seems you made your way through this experience with strength and dignity. I am glad things worked out for you.
Im sorry hon, but it seems you are making peace with it.
Much love,
Aly
Dys is right. Strength and dignity. it's all any woman can ask for and you handled it with your usual aplomb.
Let me know if you need anything.
(((Whitney))) xx
(((Whitney)))
Love ya, girl.
Swolki
Another member of 2 club. I'm sorry - because it is expensive and hard. Let me know if you need anything
love you so much soul sister. glad to find you went to the prairie, the photos are so telling.
xo
Love Love Love and Love. That is all.
Post a Comment