I’m ashamed to talk.
This is…embarrassing. My feminism tells me it’s not my fault. Hell, I know it's not my fault. I did nothing to deserve this…
But my feelings in the heat of the moment say otherwise.
I’ve concluded A is emotionally abusive.
Here’s a short list of the how:
·
I pointed out that he never says anything about
my being a good parent. His response: “I’ve seen better.” (Oh, how tempting it
was to call him a half-absentee father!)
·
My activism means nothing to him. It’s a waste
of time. I should be earning money. I am reminded of this often.
·
I am criticized for almost everything.
·
If I’m proud of a job well done at work and
share this with him, I am accused of being “full of myself” or “attention
seeking.” No, I just thought you cared.
·
I supposedly lie all the time to him, the
self-appointed food police. And other things.
My red flags really go up because he always prefaces this
with “I love you.”
Words are empty. Actions are louder.
He’s packing up the house already, even though we don’t
close until the 3 of April (oh yeah, we’re buying a house) and we won’t move in
until the 16th.
With two children and knowing he’s beyond OCD with packing, I took E and tried to get him to sleep while A packed.
This brought the accusation that I’m lazy and won’t help.
With two children and knowing he’s beyond OCD with packing, I took E and tried to get him to sleep while A packed.
This brought the accusation that I’m lazy and won’t help.
Oh, and he fucking packed almost the entire kitchen, pots
and pans. I love cooking, and he packs this first.
Make your own dinner. Starve. I don't care. I want to starve. It seems like the only way you'll take me seriously. (But no, I won't and no, you won't take me seriously.)
When I calmly bring up my own thoughts, ideas, feelings, I am told (or at least yesterday) in an angry voice that I am mentally ill. So I threw it back at him and said, “Then shame on you. Do you really think yelling at someone you believe to suffer from a mental illness is going to help?”
Make your own dinner. Starve. I don't care. I want to starve. It seems like the only way you'll take me seriously. (But no, I won't and no, you won't take me seriously.)
When I calmly bring up my own thoughts, ideas, feelings, I am told (or at least yesterday) in an angry voice that I am mentally ill. So I threw it back at him and said, “Then shame on you. Do you really think yelling at someone you believe to suffer from a mental illness is going to help?”
Nothing I do is ever “enough” for him. And…it wears me out.
Fuck him.
I’m seriously contemplating not going home tonight. I know I
will for the sake of routine for the kids.
But I can’t live like this. I don’t deserve this. Even if I’m
a shitty person, there are better ways to address it.
Oh, and my feminism and upcoming conference—that’s all fluff and me feeling like a victim—at least, according to him.
I want to cry, I don’t have any time to. I want to scream, I don’t have that luxury. And yeah….I’ve thought about leaving. A lot.
“I love you.”
No, you don’t. You don’t treat someone you love like shit.
Oh, and my feminism and upcoming conference—that’s all fluff and me feeling like a victim—at least, according to him.
I want to cry, I don’t have any time to. I want to scream, I don’t have that luxury. And yeah….I’ve thought about leaving. A lot.
“I love you.”
No, you don’t. You don’t treat someone you love like shit.
7 comments:
You and your kids deserve better. ((hugs))
Whit, you are a good person, and you know it. You are flawed, as are we all, and you know that too. You love your children. Your passion regarding activism is true.
I see you as a self-appointed martyr. In your inability to allow yourself to exist, you put yourself in situations where you stand up for others and not yourself. It is in the work you do, the activism you do, the way you help your friends. Your voice is loud and clear when defending others. It is not so much when it comes to yourself.
I think this breeds contempt. Taking care of others and not yourself is exhausting and thankless. The caveat to this, in your case, is that the recipients of your kindness may not have ever asked for your help in the first place.
I am not judging and I am not offering advice. Just observations.
Love,
Dys
Sending much love from the Pacific Northwest. -Ellene
Whit,
You know I love you. But life is too short to be with a person who at the very least does not support and believe in your passion. Is there anything you really want to do here? Do you want to stay with him? Do you want to leave? Its wonderful you are so responsible. But what do you want for your life? Despite anything in the past, there is always a time to change and do what you want. You are worth your goals, dreams, and aspirations regardless of any weakness you may have. Everyone is a combination of different assets and flaws which creates the beautiful diversity we see around us. But at some point, its not your battle to fight. Its about what you want your life to be and be about. I'm not trying to give you advice but you deserve better and your dreams are worth more than this.
Love
Aly
Darling- I'm keeping it really real here (and also constantly in fucked up relationships) and I'll just say to the bit about emotional abuse: NO SHIT.
Take your law school opportunity. Take your kids that he doesn't do shit to take care of and take your heart, soul and who you are while you have it still. Love, you're in the cave. He's got you in the cave and you're just getting a glimpse of the tree and a shadow.
You've made all of these sacrifices and he's made a ton of drinks. I like A and have always enjoyed hanging out with him. But he's not being a husband or a partner. He's being a dude doing his own thing.
He's acting like The Dude and like you've pissed on his rug that pulled the room together. It's time for him to realize that he's not 25 years old. He's pushing 40. We just need him to act like a 33 year old. Jesus.
I have seen this pattern before . . . and I hear the pain it brings for you to be in it . . .
In my own space and place, I would share that looking into CODA would be helpful for you . . . it's not just about him . . . it's about a pattern that we all live and breathe . . .
I love you. (((Squiiiiish)))
You don't deserve this. You don't deserve to feel ashamed. There is no shame in acknowledging it and talking about it.
You deserve love, respect, patience, trust and understanding.
You are worth so much more than this.
Love,
Mandy
Post a Comment