16 December 2009

Astounded and excited

A year ago, I never would have thought this would be happening to me.

My conversation with C last night:
"I have a surprise for you, Mommy."
"What is it?"
"It's upstairs." She pauses at the foot of the stairs, waiting for me. "Come on, Mommy!"

So we go upstairs. Normally, when she says she has a surprise, she looks around, grabs a napkin or a single crayon, and gives it to you. No biggie.

I follow her upstairs, expecting to go into her room and be given a single LEGO or the like; C, however, goes into our room and stands with her hands on her hips on A's side of the bed.

"Where..." she said, "is it?"
"Where is what, Carebear?"
"Daddy got you a surprise," was her answer.
"Hon, it's okay. Daddy should give me the surprise."
"It's a pretty ring, Mommy!"

She went over to a dresser with A's clothes. "I think it here." She said, looking up at the dresser.

Now on the top corner of the dresser, I keep my simple gold band--my fake wedding band, if you will. I got that ring and handed it to her.

"I want to wear it. It's so pretty." She said. Then she looked at the ring closer. "Mommy, it's missing some pretties." ("Pretties" in Carebear's world, are sparkly jewels).

"No," I said. "That's mommy's ring, and you can wear it. Come on, let's go downstairs and eat some apples."

So we go down the stairs.

Later that evening, when A comes home, C runs up to him. "I have Mommy's ring!" she exclaims with delight.

A is suddenly concentrating on taking his shoes off. He's staring at his shoes and socks with more concentration than C. His face is pale, he's blinking quickly.

I felt so sorry for him.

"Yeah," I played it off, stirring the pad thai on the stovetop. "She wanted to wear my fake wedding band, so I let her play with it for a little bit."

I watch out of the corner of my eye as A relaxes and starts breathing again.

So yes, I think it's safe to speculate that come December 26, I may very well be engaged.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

awww. I am so excited now!!