08 December 2009

Paper Tiger

I was writing an e-mail to my cyberwife and was reminded of how much I love this song:


"I just hold on to Nothing
See how long Nothing lasts..."

Boy, that lyric--well, ALL of the lyrics of this song--have gotten me through so much. The post-abortion roller coaster. The sexual harassment feelings of frustration, outrage and helplessness. B's illness and subsequent break-up. I have at least three different dances choreographed to this song. Yes, that's right--another secret of mine revealed. Having studied ballet for so long, I still dance. And if I'm listening to music but not dancing, chances are that I'm choreographing a dance in my head.

In case you don't know what "paper tiger" means, it's a Chinese term that indicates something/one that appears to is superficially powerful. However, this thing/person is prone to overextension due to its power which will ultimately lead to a sudden collapse.

As a feminist, the personal is political. It's interesting to make the political personal.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I couldn't think of more apropos lyrics . . .

I don't dance . . . but I do sing while I bike . . .