I am not happy today.
Okay, so it’s not that bad.
Let me back up a bit. I had a midwife appointment yesterday (everything is fine), then picked up C from school. We get home and find shattered glass across about 1/3 of the floor in the room we entered. A quick look around and I see a chipped brick on the floor amongst the glass, and a broken window.
Super logic skills come into play, and I deduce that someone threw the brick into our window. (Yes, women can do logic. But only some of the time.) Said broken window is not close to any doors, so I proceed into the house, holding C and my cell phone ready by my ear, ready to call. Together, we scout out the house. Nothing is missing, no one is hiding behind the shower curtains (yes, I looked), and no one is under any bed. It looks okay.
I call our lovely, wonderful landlady (funny to call you that, LH!). I then call the police (not the emergency number) because someone obviously threw a brick threw our window. Accident or no, it’s better to have a report. I call A, just to let him know. His first question is whether his cats are fine. I assure him that they are, that I’m looking right at them both (true, I was). I assumed this act of God was probably some bored under-18 folks; the act didn’t seem terribly malicious nor purposeful. I get C situated with dinner and let her watch Snow White. I let her eat two or three Popsicles and I proceed to make chicken soup for A, who’s fighting off what I think to be bronchitis.
The police officer shows up eventually. Landlady and A are over by then. I am stuck inside with C, which seemed a bit stupid to me, because I was the one who was home first and the dispatch person had told me on the phone. I have very little idea about what happened with the police officer; I could only discern that his attitude left a lot to be desired.
Yes, I stayed calm this whole time. Freaking out would do no good, and it’s damn good I can keep a semi-level head in these situations. Just ask LH, (aka landlady)—A freaking lost it, as he’s more recently been prone to do since our pregnancy. He stresses himself out, and in the process:
1. Makes stupid and harmful in the long-run decisions.
2. Alienates people.
3. Dominates conversations, which is, irony of ironies, a pet peeve of his.
4. Pisses people off by doing all of the above.
It was determined that the person who moved into the house behind us accidentally managed to hurl a broken brick through the screen and window of violated room. This causes A to freak out everyone (I think) by saying macho-crapola like, “I’m going over there and demanding they pay.”
Right. Because confrontation is a great way to make neighbors, and Robert Frost’s line of “Good fences make good neighbors” is to be taken at face value.
To get to the point: I cannot deal with this much longer. I have got to talk to A about his anxiety. His father takes medication for anxiety, and A might as well be a twin (personality-wise) of his father. Anxiety is something not unfamiliar to me; my Descartes class my junior year in college (two students, one professor, 3 hours in his office) caused me such debilitating anxiety that I did take medication for it on and off for the next two years. I do know what anxiety is like, personally. And I also know, from my long experience of either suffering a mental illness or having loved ones who will openly talk about their own struggle, what the symptoms of anxiety are.
And A definitely has GAD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It’s beginning to interfere with just about every arena of his life.
I have to do the humane thing, too. The act I would want someone to take were they worried about me: I need to address this with him. I need to address this in a way in which he’ll be open (or as open as possible, he’s rather slow when it comes to understanding any mental issue), and in which he knows I’m not attacking him but am instead concerned.
The effect his undiagnosed anxiety is having on me (this is just brainstorming):
1. I feel hurt because he’s so consumed in work-related anxiety he never asks about my day.
2. On the rare occasion he does ask about my day, he interrupts me or just doesn’t listen and asks me to repeat what I’ve said. Sometimes two or three times. What’s the distraction? His mind, his anxiety.
3. I internalize this—and that’s my issue, in part. But it makes me feel like a failure.
4. Resentment. Yesterday I had to stay totally calm and it was only the wonderful LH who recognized I didn’t panic, I acted calm. His anxiety, for whatever reason, makes him a non-compliment-er. And while I don’t expect or deserve (necessarily) to be showered in compliments, it would be nice to get them every so often. I don’t, not since the pregnancy. And of course, that just fucks with my head.
5. He has a shorter temper, which is a terrible thing to have around a lovely 3.5 year old who doesn’t understand what’s happening and needs to be reassured that she’s safe after the rude, uninterested police officer comes over. Her routine was disrupted, and I have to stay calm for her.
. . . But if I talk to him, will he listen? What will I say? I’m already resenting that this is coming up now. Can I please enjoy a pregnancy without mental illness manifesting in my partner, or does my burgeoning belly cause this, just a B’s parents blamed me?
Can I be appreciated for the work I do around the house, while tired, for the childcare I provide? Yes, A, you work. But I do too. And we work almost the same hours per week, but you make 2x (about) what I make.
Oh, hell, since I’m complaining, let me just throw out there that the only presents he’s ever gotten me are the engagement ring and a record. Which is nice. But it’s the thought that counts, and on my birthday, on mother’s day—there was no thought.
And THAT is what hurts the most.
I’m so terribly sorry for this post. I really just needed to get this out. I’m brainstorming a million things and am prone to shut down if I talk verbally about this…so letting it out here…is a start.
12 comments:
You really don't need to be sorry. You're entitled to your feelings and thoughts -- it's what you do about them that counts, and writing is a healthy way to figure things out. Anyone can tell within minutes of meeting you that you're a genuine person, caring and open, not prone to selfishness or histrionics. Everything you're stressing about in this blog is an understandable worry. I can only imagine the position you are in at the moment: responsible for yourself, your unborn child, and C; trying to be healthy for all of you. On top of this is the rest of everyday life, and you're not getting what you need from A. And all the issues from your past involving pregnancy and your former partner are tugging at you. I have no advice, just support. You're doing the right things. *love and hugs*
No apologies necessary for having feelings. ;)
I'm so hesitant to say my gut's language, because while we are close as sisters, we lead different lives, spending time on so many different aspects of L.I.F.E! :) (sorta Harold and Maude, lol)but...well, HELL, lol...yeah, like Elle said - do NOT app. for "feelings" sis. 'k?
I'm just glad you are writing about this. I can only imagine how hard it is for you to have to deal with yet another mental illness, though much less severe, this pregnancy. But it is nothing you've done, and I know intellectually you know that, but I want to be sure EMOTIONALLY you know that too. xxoo
Sorry all that happened. You *did* handle it well. C seemed so calm and understanding. My dad even complimented her behavior while we were at dinner.
It was a problem that A got so angry. I worry mostly for C, who sees you handle things rationally and him get so upset over ultimately understandable accidents.
Never apologize for your feelings. You deserve support, attention, even gifts. I am willing you strength as you decide what to say and how to say it. You and C are welcome over any time you need a quick break - I'm only a few blocks away. (hugs)
You shouldn't feel you need to apologize especially not on your blog. And the anxiety in your partner would be very stressful. You are amazing to keep your calm in a stressful situation with a small child while pregnant, that would be very difficult. You are also wise to recognize the anxiety problems in A. I know you will think of the right way to bring it up as you are wise and discerning. How frustrating for you, I hope things get better. Also matt is on Paxil now for depression and driving home drunk one night, he didn't remember he had told me he would get a cab. Keep it on the DL though since Gville is a small town... Long story about all of that but I do understand your frustration while pregnant. It is very very difficult. Hang in there, hugs and love :)
aly
ok, firstly i'll suggest that if anytime in the future you return home/ to your auto and encounter please do me a favor and call police while getting someplace safe!!! i may be over reacting (and i certainly didn't see the scene) but i can't handle you two getting hurt!
and while i'm working towards what you convey as the bigger items (not at all to diminish their importance to you) well- this whole no gift/ acknowledgement thing pisses me the fuck off and i've endured it far too many times. it truly is the THOUGHT that counts and dude you didn't even bother to think about me! and by dude i mean
1) the dude who got his mom to pick out a handful of S&P shakers which included a pepper mill because he knew that i had a collection of S&P shakers (quirky ones, kitchy ones, not serious ones, though!) and favored the idea of a pepper mill. so, ok, he didn't grasp the whole type of S&P collection i preferred but at least he had that idea to get something i might like because of what he knew i liked. cool for that. NOT cool because you couldn't take the time to pick out the S&P from all of those available in any number of places but rather had YOUR MOTHER!!!! who had met me once pick out some from which you selected my gift. which was not wrapped. not even in a bag. not even in the plastic bag it came home from the store in- but oh yeh, YOUR MOM BOUGHT IT!
2) the dude who had me pick up a gift for his ex girlfriend (her birthday was a couple of days before mine) after work after which i had to run home and take out the dog, then pick him up from work and then drive us to her party in cheesy bourgie spot on the northern side of town. he didn't exactly pay me back- we went to dinner for which i paid and then he paid for our tickets to a movie- which he would usually periodically do anyway!!!! oh, i didn't get a birthday gift, either.
3) and the next year, dude number 2 followed up with a gift i selected earlier that year and emailed him to get me. then on my birthday (shortly after having surgery to remove cancer) he informed me that he'd fucked a mutual acquaintance only he began the conversation with stating that he had been thinking of doing that and finally owned up to having done it because i was neglecting him (what, being stuck in bed with mother fucking CANCER and an infected wound from SURGERY) and his needs aka sex. and he'd not used a condom and had to buy her the morning after pill. all the while we were not using condoms because we'd been in a year plus monogamous relationship and i'd gotten an IUD (which fucking sucked and i had removed after a few months and twenty pounds)
4) dude 2 and 3 (i'm an idiot and too forgiving sometimes) did get me a dvd box set of a show we love for my birthday/ christmas combo this past birthday though i got it in january...a few months late...
my conclusions: boys are idiots about being thoughtful (and i'm breaking up challenged) when it is meaningful to us. in general people who are lacking in the thoughfulness arena are far more hurtful than people who do outright mean and nasty things!
my mother has been horrible about this sort of thing for ages, though. when i was 8 i wanted to be an astronaut and had circled some things in the Penney's wish book including a telescope. i got a microscope. i hated red as well as navy clothing (my sister loved red and my mother loves navy) and to this day she picks out red and/ or navy clothing for me even though she always remembers that my sister loves red and it isn't a confusion thing. since i was 18 or so i've sent her links to things online to get me and usually she gives me money. it hurts my feelings not because i am demanding items and gifts but rather that there is a HUGE lack of knowing me- like she doesn't know me and that no matter how many times i've reached out to her over the years to share in small things that are important to me and even begged her to share (watching My So Called Life when i was 15, going to a lecture i put on or some movie or show that i really felt a connection to or read a book- or listened to the book on tape i gave her) it's like she couldn't be bothered to take a moment to join me in something important to me that i thought might help her know me. year after year it really built up and still maintains a HUGE distance i feel in regards to her. almost a resentment to be honest. i don't know that she could pick me up out of a line up if my physical presence was absent.
like, i was 11 when i tried to commit suicide the first time and instead of getting me help or even taking me to a doctor there was nothing aside from my usual routine and telling my teachers. she (and the sperm donor aka father) never noticed that i was banging my wrists and when i was going through serious bouts of depression and crying i was only threatened with, "I'll GIVE you a reason to cry," which in the past had been a beating. the thoughtfulness shown in my home as a child consisted of things like- stand up straight or you'll have an ugly lump on your back, wear sunglasses so you don't have wrinkles around your eyes, and use a curling iron because your hair is not laying right in the back.
as much therapy as i have been able to squeeze into my too busy schedule/ pay for, psychiatrists, and my meds have helped me work forward in life but my scars are still there. largely that is not so relevant but some of it is- as a child i longed for my parents to get divorced because i wanted to be able to not be sent to my room so as to be out of the way of my father, to not find refuge in my room because my father was on a tirade, to not have to say as instructed by my mother simply, "ok," when my father gave me absurd instructions or told me what i ought do and who i ought be if i didn't want to be a complete failure. i joined every activity after school so that i could avoid being home. the explosions were far too much for me to handle and with my mother's lack of standing up for me even my teachers and friends' parents offered to take me in though my illness that required meds kept me from it. as did my shame for having this kind of family- my guilt as though i were the cause or as though i was responsible for it.
as a result of my traumatic past (it sounds so weird to say that but i guess it really is the truth) i have nearly 0 self confidence and i constantly find myself thinking that i have little worth. praise, as much as i hate it, is so very important to me. and i think i may creep out people who find themselves on the receiving end of my praises (i like them so i like to give them out, too!) and encouragements.
i can speak to the disturbance that is living in a home where a father was very prone to outbursts, to displays of anger, to tirades resulting from what even as a child felt very much were over reactions. and i couldn't understand why my mother preferred to keep peace and let it go in order to move past the outbursts. it made me feel so very alone and undefended. it made me want to be free of them both. it made me hate them for having me because i hated so much that i was alive and having this as my life and it made me want to scream that they should have never had me if i was such a problem, that they should send me to live with someone else, to send me to boarding school because i just needed to get away from it all.
the outbursts and angry discussions and fights and tensions terribly influence my life now. i had to take anger management classes to learn that anger was a valid emotion and that i should handle it not through having a melt down, sobbing uncontrollably and feeling apologetic. i learned that i do have a right to be angry and also that i can handle things in a way that does not involve shouting and/ or self loathing/ or panic/ anxiety attacks. thank you therapy!!!!
still, i cannot handle people who yell, scream and react to something i have no involvement in really and i shut down, melt down, cry, get frustrated, zone out and wall up- that's not right. but it is what i do because in some ways i'm like the vets from vietnam who have these psychological flashbacks to my own personal war zone.
i don't know how to get A to see how his behavior effects you EVEN when he doesn't mean things the way you take them- and he needs to get that his words may mean something to him but that meaning to you is something different. and the delivery has something to do with that. and it isn't necessarily his fault (guys seem to think Oh it is all my fault, I can't do anything right...) when really it isn't so black and white.
fuck- share with A my experiences and how it has shaped me and scarred me for life. he loves you- no question. he loves C- without a doubt. he's stoked on the possibility of an additional member to the family. tell him that YOU need him to come to therapy with you. let him think it is about you and not about him. spin it that way. if that doesn't work get his dad involved in some way. maybe have an intervention of sorts. say you're worried over his health- not just his anxiety and stress management skills but his blood pressure and how you need him to be there for you and the kids and the cats. i'll come down and talk to him if you think it would be helpful. i wish you could get him to get together with my pal C because he's a good dude and experienced with partners with mental health issues. maybe you should just get together with my pal C down there.
my therapist once told me that i deserved to be happy- that i deserved peace in myself and that my body and my experiences made some roadblocks in that so i needed to strive a bit to get to that spot. he's got to want it for himself but maybe you can help him see that it is out there and possible.
you could also drug his coffee...
i love you soooooo much!
Would you like a cucumber?
I love you.
I miss you.
A's anxiety is a bad coincidence. Nothing to do with you and the little one that is getting ready to make the grand entrance.
Maybe you should follow suit with C and have three popsicles and watch Snow White.
xoxo
I agree with Mellissa. A's anxiety was not caused by you or the pregnancy. I think logically you *know* this but it is traumatic to be dealing with the mental illness of a partner when pregnant. I am sure that is causing a lot of the old feelings to boil up. I am wondering how he will react to your confrontation of the issue. I hope he is ready to hear it and I hope he is ready to get help. I think ultimately that will be the best thing for the 4 of you. xoxoxo
Post a Comment