I had a meltdown yesterday. Everything that I can normally shrug off just built up. Countless silent tears were shed at work. (I am a model of professionalism, although, to my credit, no one saw.)
What, I wondered, is going on? I realized something was off.
And then I remembered: I had strep about a month ago. I have an autoimmune disease that is triggered by strep. In short, my body produces too strong of antibodies against strep, and those antibodies attack healthy parts of me. This unwarranted attacks lead to chemical changes in my brain, which in turn cause depression.
I took a deep breath, and called my doctor yesterday. The last time I had such a severe reaction was a few years ago, and I took a medication for about a week, which made the attack subside AND helped my mood.
I’m back on that medicine, at least until the next week. And I LOVE my doctor, not only because he is a kind soul, not only because he sees me at half-price since I have no insurance, but because he gave me samples of the medicine without seeing me. (I have an appt. next week, which was the earliest I could be seen.)
I’m back on that medicine, at least until the next week. And I LOVE my doctor, not only because he is a kind soul, not only because he sees me at half-price since I have no insurance, but because he gave me samples of the medicine without seeing me. (I have an appt. next week, which was the earliest I could be seen.)
So in the midst of that despair came good things—including the fact that I can appreciate the Good whilst semi-depressed.
Oh, and I saw B again yesterday on my way to work. I just let out a heavy sigh typing that…WTF? GO AWAY. I had both children with me and was on my way to work. . .
Oh, and I saw B again yesterday on my way to work. I just let out a heavy sigh typing that…WTF? GO AWAY. I had both children with me and was on my way to work. . .
Thus is life. Ups, downs, and in between.
I’m managing pretty well, I think, over all.
Yes, there’s room for improvement—but isn’t there always!?!
I’m managing pretty well, I think, over all.
Yes, there’s room for improvement—but isn’t there always!?!
3 comments:
I was transferring my computer bookmarks from my desk top to my lap top this morning when I came across the link to your blog...and wondered how you were and decided to stop what I was doing and stalk you. ;)
It's amazing how our brains & bodies work and how depression can ooze out of anything & everything. I hope the meds work and you're feeling yourself again asap.
I'm sorry too that B has been haunting you again. I'm sure it brings up all kinds of emotions & perhaps memories, wanted or unwanted.
Love you W...always here for you
SunshineJack ;)
WTF?? I just am now catching up to well everything in my life that I have put off to get through some serious crap at work. I am surer your dad hates me too (since we played phone tag forever and then it fell off, and I still have not gotten to a place where I can get a quiet time to call and TALK.
So anyhow, I am catching up on your blog, and I see this! ACK! Whit I am SO sorry. Jesus. How are you doing?
You want to get all the kids together soon? And decompress?
I am shocked about B not the meltdown. In case that was unclear. I have been near meltdown often lately, so that feels normal ;)
Post a Comment