Apparently, yesterday Ann (not her name, but also known as the veal lady) made some offhand remark to everyone in the room—sans me!—that I am unable
to work effectively with E here.
This is news to me. This was also news to my boss/father.
BUT…my father let her remark slide. He didn’t call her on
her shit. No one did, and no one does. Ever.
Until this morning, when he relayed Ann’s message to me, followed with some parenting advice so I can “keep everyone happy.”
I am not included in that “everyone.”
Fuck this shit. Fuck
you, Dad, for not telling Ann to mind her own damn business. Fuck you for
not saying, “Whitney rarely does anything that relates to anything you do, Ann, how do you know she’s not as efficient?”
Or even, “Shut up.”
Fuck you, Ann, for being such a goddamn asshole. I don’t know what you’re problem is, and I don’t care. Just leave me out of it. LEAVE. ME. ALONE.
Fuck you, Ann, for being such a goddamn asshole. I don’t know what you’re problem is, and I don’t care. Just leave me out of it. LEAVE. ME. ALONE.
I am now taking my son to work only to be criticized for my
parenting.
I want to quit. I fucking hate it here. I have, but when N
was here, (N being the awesome Muslim female attorney who was pregnant the same
time I was), it somehow balanced everything out and things were better. N
always respected my legal opinion and would even seek it out. Together, we
handed the Federal government their ass on a silver platter in the form of a
450+ count Second Amended Complaint.
It is so demoralizing and embarrassing to say that you work
for your parent. Everyone assumes you
were given the job and you don’t have to, oh, work. Or that you didn’t
interview for the job with other people in the firm (I did!).
The icing on the less-than-five minute conversation with my
dad relaying this message to me occurred when he asked nicely (really, no
sarcasm there with the “nicely”), “Do you need to work on your application?”
“I finished it and submitted it.”
“Well,” he said. “You know you’re not going to get the job. You’re the wrong color.”
(There’s an EEO job opening: it’s half-time but pays what I make
now, plus health and dental
insurance.)
I feel horrible for even complaining; I have a job, I have a
steady income. That’s a helluva lot better than so many other people. Forgive
me.
But I think I deserve to be treated like a human being by
those with whom I interact. Is that so novel?
2 comments:
Ah, the Veal Lady strikes again. :(
I've never been in your situation so I can't even imagine what you're going through...but I spent many years at jobs I hated, struggling to appreciate that I had employment and an income, in spite of the fact I was fucking miserable. A job that is unsatisfactory for any reason(s) really takes a huge toll on all other areas of your life. I'm sorry. *hugs*
Y'all got 15 people or what? I'm just saying- this woman is a big ol crusty asshole wipe and bitch has gone too far. Does she have her own firm? Is she a partner? If the answer is no then maybe veal fucker needs to consider that OR she needs to check herself because she has already wrecked herself a few times. If y'all have 15 then she's setting up a pretty hostile work environment.
Also- on a side note- email me info on the EEO job- like if it is federal or state or whatever. They're our partners in crime and your state and my old state are in the same Federal region so if it is even a state position they work with the Feds and I'm tight with tons of them. I'd love to put in an unsolicited reference.
For real- you need to talk with N about this. Is she gone gone or on leave? Either way I think she'd be someone to speak with about this and someone who would be able to help handle it even.
Shame on your dad- he's a sweet guy but sometimes sweet doesn't get it done and it sounds like he was trying to avoid uncomfortable stuff and knows that you will handle things like a grown up instead of veal lady who handles things like a theatrical cast member of a horrible far away from being good play. Start making notes on veally and keep up with how much she's not doing and she doesn't even HAVE an E.
Post a Comment