01 November 2011

Oh, drama. . .


Okay, so I’m managing the miscarriage all right. I really am. The first week was pretty tortorious, but I’m really, truly okay.

Do we have another child? That desire (one day) is now there. Oh, pregnancy loss, why do you make me yearn to breed?

What’s been occupying me over the past weeks and why have I not updated anything here? What’s the root of the sadness I posted about?

It’s a long story. Go get yourself a drink (a stiff one), a snack—go to the bathroom. Settle in.

Back in August, I met a guy I’ll call Tom. Tom is a single father, his girlfriend at the time was struggling with a mental illness—we clearly have a lot in common. He does yoga and has Friday’s off, so we would meet for an hour and have lunch on Fridays.

This lasted three Fridays.

A was furious, but apparently kept quiet for a while. Come the Thursday after the Occupy Wherever movement started, I was with my entire family, protesting, etc. Life was good. Tom was there too and said something like, “Our usual lunch tomorrow at Cool Place in Town?”

“Yeah!” I agreed, waving at cars that supported the cause.

We went home and A was very doting on the children, and very short with me. When I inquired what was wrong, he wouldn’t tell me.

Around 9pm, he told me. He doesn’t want me having lunch with Tom, that’s a date.

Okay, I said, I won’t.

But could we leave it at that? Of course not. A proceeded to talk at me for two hours or so. I attempted to have a calm discussion, but I could no more get three words out with him interrupting.

So I shut up. Why talk when no one will hear you? Why talk when he clearly wasn’t interested in what I had (still have) to say?

We made up, but the issue wasn’t totally solved. I had agreed no more contact with Tom except if I run into him (non-planned) at the Farmers Market. This, I thought, seemed okay.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. .  .

Last Wednesday, I was at the Farmers Market. I ran into an old friend, and called A to let him know this friend of ours would be over that evening. Then I ran into Tom, who called to me and said hi. I acknowledged him and we talked briefly.

That’s when I noticed A in the background. He fucking left work to “check” on me.

What the hell?

A started to walk away even though he heard me call out to him (mature) so I followed him. He kept saying “I’m not talking about it in public.”

uh, okay. You’re the one who made the scene, not me. You’re the one who doesn’t trust me, apparently, though I’ve never done a single fucking thing to not deserve your trust.

We get home, he’s going on and on and on. Apparently, I had “liked” something Tom liked on the Occupy page on FB earlier in the day. A took this as a signal that we were going to meet up.

When he told me this, I was astounded. “Did you really think that?” I asked. “Do you know how scary that is?”

Yes. Yes he does. But he can’t help his thoughts, and I learned from B that I cannot help him.

I feel grounded, because my psychologist thinks I’m handling everything appropriately.

But I feel really, really hurt. He doesn’t trust me—what do we have if he doesn’t trust me? What is it about this situation that makes him still hate Tom (to whom I’ve had no contact with since last week)? What is it about Tom that “triggers” him?

I am so damn frustrated. We have to talk about this, and we can’t insist “I’m right.” I can’t, and he can’t. We need to really talk about this.

I just don’t know if A can calm down enough. This side of him is a total, unexpected surprise.
 

5 comments:

Jessie said...

hmm, this made me think a bit, and i'd like to play devil's advocate, but i want to say that i am sorry to hear about your m/c and i don't think it's okay for A to talk at you. i'm not sure what his background is re: relationships, but it sounds like he got burned in a past life. his behavior may seem as though he doesn't trust you, but he may be acting instinctively (and impulsively) as sort of a defense mechanism to prevent him from being hurt again. so while maybe your meeting tom triggered something, he is acting in a manner that is disproportionate to the 'crime'. it may have little to do with you and tom, in a way. i don't know.

i'm not trying to excuse his behavior, but having been burned terribly a few times in the past by untrustworthy people whom i loved and trusted, i sometimes catch myself not trusting my s/o now or feeling as though he must prove to me that he is trustworthy, which is very unfair (i know), and is completely my (somewhat irrational) way of protecting myself.

Dysmonia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dysmonia said...

Damn. What a mess. I'm sorry.

I can't comment too much on the miscarriage, because I'm not a mother, nor have I ever been pregnant. I just know it's been a huge psychological, emotional, and physical drain on you. I hope you are allowing yourself to process it and heal (I HATE that term, but it seems appropriate). Much love and support to you.

As for the Tom/A situation -- I just don't understand. You're not allowed to have a friend? I can understand jealousy, and it's even healthy to some degree (or so I'm told), but giving up a friendship solely because your partner wants you to -- which turns out to still not be good enough -- seems more than unfair.

elle said...

I would like to reiterate the statements made in the email I sent you about this earlier (prior to the Farmers' Market nonsense). If ever there was a way to get A to therapy I believe that now is the time. You've gone through this terrible ordeal of the miscarriage and now in particular you need support! You need a support system when you are going through difficult times. You need friends and just because Tom is a straight male A doesn't approve of him. Because Tom could possibly want to fuck you or you could possibly want to fuck Tom? You guys (contrary to your therapist's view at last check) need to go talk to someone professional.

If you and A were not married you would consider his behavior to be creepy and stalker-ish.

Shannon said...

It sounds like you are being very calm and sweet and rational. I would probably flip my lid...lol.

However, here is what I am wondering. You mention that Tom's gf has mental illness. I wonder if Tom's ability to relate to you about B in a way that A cannot threatens A? Does not excuse A, because frankly I think you NEED someone IRL who understands a little about what it was like to be with B etc. I hope that you are able to remain friends with Tom. xoxo Big hugs to you as I know you feel as though you are between a rock and a jealous hard spot.