I’ve been feeling sad of late.
"Is there some anniversary coming up that I don't realize?"
Well, the only thing I can think of is that 6 years ago tomorrow, I hydroplaned
off the interstate. (I have an insane memory for dates).
I mean…that’s it. Nothing else.
And yet, I’m sad.
Why?
But today, I woke up and decided to let go of asking why and just be. I will be a tad melancholic today. Tomorrow. Next week. However long it lasts. I
certainly don’t enjoy feeling sad, and I don’t enjoy feeling sad for no
apparent reason.
Maybe—and I’m thinking out loud here—maybe I’m sad because in a month, I will be married. This is, no doubt, something I want very much. But in other ways, it’s a definite end to a
previous “me.” Of course, being married won’t define me just as the fact that
I’m a mom doesn’t define me. Nor does my eating disorder, or the fact that I
had an abortion, or any of my previous relationships.
All of these experiences are part of the whole; this is who I am.
And who I am constantly grows and changes. Thank god! My biggest fear is not
learning, not growing, not changing (though I’m realizing that given my
inquisitive mind, for me to not learn/change/grow is…well…kinda not really
possible.)
So maybe I’m anticipating change. I know in other cultures there are meaningful traditions that help women as they become mothers. Our culture doesn’t really have that. And likewise, these
cultures have traditions that mark the change and celebrate a woman as she
prepares to marry.
Again, our culture doesn’t have that. At least, nothing that I would find meaningful. No offense,
but a bridal shower or bachelorette party are 1.) not my sort of thing and 2.)
not the meaningful, ceremonial, traditional way to honour the past and bestow
best wishes for the future. Oh, and 3--not something I expect to have! LOL
So maybe I have to make something
up myself. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
4 comments:
aufheben
maybe think of it that way?
maybe you should have something other than a shower or party...something to honor the change. something meaningful and personal. I hear you. ((((w))))
perhaps your version of the "bro tattoo"
if you are into Greek mythology and what not maybe you could look up some ancient rituals/ceremonies that you could incorporate into the wedding or do with friends who understand it instead of a shower. For example, in your blog you brought wheat to one of the deities you believed in. Maybe there is some traditional thing like that you could look up and do...
alyson
Post a Comment