In an attempt to distract myself from how miserable I feel right now, allow me to recommend some reading that will be much lighter than the blog post that will no doubt be created from the despair and misery in my head:
US Newborn Circumcision Rate Drops, an older post but still very relevant. I think every belief we have should be examined at least once in your life, a la Socrates "the unexamined life is not worth living." My sister and I used to believe circumcision of male babies was just something you did. Now, we both disagree with my parents, who still believe performing this elective procedure has health benefits. And need I remind you that this is THE issue in my household right now?
Catholic Church: Pregnant women don't deserve to live, or, less dramatically, Excommunicated Over Abortion
I believe the title sums it up.
Curious about sexism in philosophy? Question the accuracy of some of my own stories of the horrors of graduate school? Assuage your doubts at this wonderful and sad blog dedicated to capturing the rampant sexism in such an enlightened field. Even male philosophers have taken notice.
Policing pregnancy.
Oh, wait, that's right--pregnant women aren't people capable of making decisions. As for the latter link, the case is more complicated than the author makes it seem, but the gist of it is that the grounds for taking away this couple's child was the mother's refusal to have a C-section. After that, the State found more evidence to support their being declared as unfit parents (cue mental illness dramas!) Still, a very unsettling story. If she was so unfit as a parent, why was she considered competent enough to make medical decisions for herself, thus denying the C-section? That's what seems the shadiest to me.
Thanks the gods that not all fathers are as disgusting as these folks.
And a chuckle that maybe only someone who's spent time in a hospital for a mental illness could appreciate. To clarify, one girl on the ward I was decided to call the head psych nurse "Nurse Rachet." Said psych nurse took this as a compliment. All we could do was think, "And I'm here...why?!"
Women can do math!? Who knew?
No comments:
Post a Comment