[Title is a LeTigre lyric.]
Upon self-reflection, I realized that much of what’s bothering me about the whole birth and circumcision issues are that I am not feeling like I am listened to or heard when I voice my opinions. I am not expecting to get what I want, but I would appreciate it greatly if my voice was validated by being heard.
Yes, you all hear me and listen to me, and I am grateful for you.
Yes, you all hear me and listen to me, and I am grateful for you.
But I cannot talk to my mw at all about VBAC. She’s absolutely, adamantly against any type of VBAC for no medical reason, just “that’s how it’s done.”
I tried to talk to A about this, but I don’t think understands how, when I think of not having the choice of a C-section or VBAC, I get an image in my head. A gruesome image. I am a headless body, naked. I am strapped in a Christ-like pose, with IVs pouring fluids into both my arms. I am bleeding profusely from a gaping abdomen wound. The edges of the wound are ragged, as though I’ve been torn apart savagely. There is a doctor above me, with a bloody butcher-style knife.
That’s the real issue. Not having a choice. I don’t view my past C-section as savage in any way. Yet the idea that I have no choice in labor and delivery renders me a mere body, not someone with a mind or head. And a deeply wounded body at that.
I decided last night to try and explain to A my feelings of being totally out of control. I had no intention of sharing that image with him, but instead reminding him that I just need to be heard.
I managed to say that much. Something to the extent of, “You’re the most important person to me, and I need you to understand that I’m very frustrated because I am not feeling respected or heard by—“
And…that was all I managed to say. He talked over me (triggering of past experiences and just kind of missing the point of my not feeling heard). He started talking about the circumcision issue. I asked repeatedly that we not talk about it tonight, I was hurting emotionally for other reasons.
Was I heard?
Well, I’m blogging about it. So no. Or maybe I was heard, and automatically dismissed.
So let’s spell these feelings of powerlessness and despair that I’ve been feeling BEFORE this unproductive conversation:
I may be forced to give birth in a way I have no say over, and my child will be forced to have an operation which I have no say over. (Only one parent has to agree under law to this elective procedure.)
In tears, I retreated to our bedroom. I just wanted 5 minutes to cry, compose myself, and then be okay. I asked to be left alone for five minutes.
Instead, A followed me back and kept citing these “statistics” he found at WHO. He claimed that more than half the world’s population was circumcised. Apparently, A cannot read statistics. I knew that was wrong when he said it last night but I put a pillow over my head to keep myself from storming out of the house and running, because I’m not supposed to be running when pregnant. This morning, however, I came to work and found, should you be interested, this:
This is from the American College of Emergency Physicians, which, as far as I can tell, is a group that has no known bias for or against circumcision.
The WHO is decidedly pro-circumcision, which is fine, they still produce fairly accurate statistics. In a pamphlet/brochure on the WHO website, I find “Approximately 30% of males are estimated to be circumcised globally, of whom an estimated two thirds are Muslim.”
I was going to send that to him via e-mail, but I’m truly feeling utter despondency and hopelessness right now. The word “autonomy” kept bouncing around my head last night, as in “I have none, I’m pregnant.” As A was talking over me, I fell silent. Why bother? It’s clear, it feels, that my opinions and thoughts…do not matter.
I’m a mere vessel.
I’m ashamed to admit this, but for a brief second, I wondered why I was pregnant and whether or not this was a mistake. Then I thought I’d just disappear all by myself during labor. Perhaps laboring by myself is the most conducive thing for me, because over the past two days, I feel like I’m the only person who 1. isn’t terrified of the risks of VBAC. (And it must be stated here that the risks of a repeat C-section are actually higher and more serious overall than VBAC—ACOG admits this.) 2. doesn’t want an elective operation performed on our child. 3. believes in my body’s ability to labor and deliver a child, or in my own ability to recognize that I need help.
Come February, if I’m gone for a day or two, I’m probably just hanging out in the woods, laboring by myself amongst the dead leaves and bare trees.
The real issue isn’t the C-section/VBAC. It isn’t the circumcision debate. Regardless of what ends up happening, I’m sure our child will be fine and won’t be scarred by whatever is decided.
The issue is: this is my body and my child, and I would very much like a say—or at least, to just be heard--regarding what is ultimately decided.
I really would just like to disappear. I don't want to talk. There is nothing to be happy about right now. And even if I was happy, what does it matter? It's not like I'm heard. (super passive-aggressive there, apologies!)
I feel hopeless and despondent. I do not use those words lightly, either.

7 comments:
i think that you ought communicate with A regarding how very difficult it is for you to discuss certain things and how you really need him to let you get the thought out before speaking. it seems to be an ongoing issue between the two of you (and has been for me with all of the males i've dated). OR and this might be the route you need to take- even though it feels kind of childish sometimes- well maybe you need to write him a letter about it.
many males i have known have challenges in the listening mode. it's like they hear a set of words- not a complete thought but just a few words and then it's like a garage door going down or a castle door being pulled shut. they wall off and get kind of on the defense even if what you're saying might actually not be reason for them to be defensive. maybe it isn't so much like shutting off but going ahead and starting their defensive strategy planning thing. does that make any sense (my idea, not that guys do it)?
do you want me to call him? or email him or something? i'll do it!!! also my friend sent me this link and i cannot remember if i shared it with you:
http://www.jewsagainstcircumcision.org/
I am so sorry you are feeling this way, Whit. It is perfectly understandable that you are upset and frustrated. You are always so cautious about how others are feeling, so compassionate and fair-minded, and it really bothers me that you are not getting that in return. No woman should ever be made to feel unheard, but as a pregnant woman, it's offensive and degrading in it's own special way.
I know you don't want to get into this here, but I have a very good friend who is a devout Jew, and she chose not to circumcise her son. It is more and more common these days.
Love you.
I know that link of Elle's :) (Hi, Elle!!!) as I've used it a number of times. I pm'd you elsewhere, but I'm with Samma and with Elle here - 100% in any way in which I can help, support, educate, or jusy be a virtual shoulder - here I am. Love to you.
oh yeh- the reason i suggested the letter is because then he can read it, see the words, get defensive, read it again, get a bit of an understanding, read it again and maybe finally hear you!
also, i will call him if you want me to because i ain't trying to have my girl deal with this. also, if you want, we could arrange something so that after delivery he gets distracted long enough to avoid the genital mutilation.
I am so so sorry and upset for you. I DO understand feeling like you have no choice over delivery, ironically the opposite of yours. I wanted the C section electively but not "medically necessary" and C section is definetly NOT the medical trend right now. Instead I had to go through a really gruesome experience, even with all the drugs I was given. I will not ever do it again. I thought I would die multiple times, well I know I am not as tough as you are but I understand not feeling you have choices. I wish I could make it better for you but I can't. Its good that you blog, for us who read it to so we know we are not alone, so helpful.... you should never ever feel bad about blogging its helped me so much to read your posts bc I can related to so many of these things. I have no advice for you only sympathy and understanding. By the way Brandelyn was born Sunday (10/10/10) and you were instrumental to her being a reality. You should be her honorary second Godmother if you like.... Thanks for all you have done and helped me with and I hope this issue gets resolved in a way that gives you choice and helps you feel empowered....
mutch much love
aly
Whit, Call me. Now.
aww honey I am sorry you dont feel listened to....
The onyl thing I wanted to say is that yes it IS your body but is is yours AND A's child... I know that probably doesnt help... (((hugs)))
Post a Comment