08 September 2011

Life in a patriarchy: a microcosm of the last 2-3 weeks


Oh, my.
I need to talk. Or vent. Or whatever it is I do here.
Okay, so I’ve started up this other blog about local things. It’s been an astonishing success, with more than 2000 hits the last two days.

What’s that saying, about success being a curse?

But really…I so far have been able to write in my free time, or should I say, with E on my lap and C coloring. And I must say, I enjoy writing. I enjoy feeling like maybe (?????) I’m possibly helping the community in some small way.
So why do I feel aggravated and frustrated?

Well, it’s because A gets the credit for it. He’s the first to credit me, but he gets all the credit in the community for my hard work. The local newspaper did a story about part of the site’s mission, and even quoted the site. The article went on to quote A, who repeatedly told the reporter to contact me.
Male reporter did not contact me. Oh wait. He did.

He contacted me after the article was published, saying “sorry, I didn’t have time to contact you.”

Bullshit.

But I guess I’m just the cute, supportive, stand-by-your-man little woman who’s doing all this fucking work.
Because I believe in it.
Because I love getting back into writing.

(Random fact: I wanted to be an English major and won national awards for my writing in high school and college. I know, you’d never guess it from this blog, but then again, this blog is more of a mostly-uncensored journal).
So I’ve gotten myself into this odd scenario. I wanted the writing to stay anonymous—reviews will be better that way. But instead, my husband is getting the recognition for my work?

Even though my husband repeatedly credits me?

Ugh.
Also, why is it that when an a-political guy takes a stand on one issue, he’s suddenly encouraged to run for office, whereas numerous women I know take bold stands on crucial issues and they’re not once encouraged to run?

I guess we’re just not leaders, right, ladies?

2 comments:

Dysmonia said...

I can't be a leader. I might get my period and make a mistake.

elle said...

Firstly- I am again disturbed that A is considered the owner of the biz since you two got hitched and that means like you're legally partners or something, right? Or was there some pre-nup?

I say that you do an About or something on the blog going with the idea that A alone owns the biz it might be like this- something simple saying, "After hearing A, local business owner, discuss problems the biz community had been encountering he and his wife, a local community activist who also works for a small, local biz, decided to contact other local biz to create an org that would rep their needs and so XYZ was born. Because W only works a full time job at said local biz and spends the rest of her time working another unpaid full time job raising two children and leads a local chapter of a national organization she volunteered to create a website and take leadership roles in the social media and blog aspects of the org. If you need to contact XYZ you probably should contact W because she knows what the fuck is going on and "Reporter Man" be aware that, should you continue to dick out a certain lady who has mad love for W will continue to put you on BLAST for your poor excuse for journalism skills. That first email kindly put you on notice. We southern ladies handle our shit and do it VERY well." or something...