I met his parents last night.
I was so nervous. B’s parents hated me, and I can honestly say I never did anything to cause their extreme dislike. Suffering from extreme paranoia, they believed I was after their money. Ha! It was only his illness that made them realize that I truly loved their son…
Oh, the irony and pain of that.
Anyway, his parents were delightful people. Sure, I met them when I was in 4th grade, but being a friend of their 10-year-old daughter is incredibly different from being the serious girlfriend of their son.
A said it went well. I thought it did, but he clearly knows his parents much better than I do! He said that the dinner went well, that he could tell his mom and his dad loved me. He said his father was the harder one to win over, too, but he could tell that I did. I was just myself: quiet, at first, while I analyzed the situation, etc. Then I told them about myself, etc. It was…nice…
Later that evening, A and I were talking. I cannot remember how the topic came up, but the M word was spoken. Marriage. We suddenly were saying how we both want a small wedding, nothing elaborate. A said he would wear a wedding ring, and I said he didn’t have to because I trust him, and hell, he’ll cheat with or without a ring. (My father never wears a wedding ring and he and my mother have been happily married for over 35 years, so in my mind, it’s normal for men to NOT wear wedding rings.) I specified I didn’t want a diamond, a simple gold band would do.
Then we looked at each other, and A started back tracking. “Of course, it’s way too soon to talk about any of this.” He said, and I nodded, trying not to laugh. “I mean, we should be dating for at least a year.” I smiled and nodded. Whatever.
I’m just glad that he’s come into my life right now.
When I related a bit of the M-word conversation to my sister, she didn’t look up from her computer. “Yeah,” she said, “I figure you and A are going to get married at some point.”
Time will tell. For now, I’m happy and I’ll take that.
No comments:
Post a Comment