My favourite teacher in high school--with whom I am still in touch--had a small print of "Guernica" in her classroom. I used to sit, frustrated by the ablative absolute or just pondering the Latin culture (and I mean Roman, not Latina/Latino), and stare at the mural.
It was beautiful.
It was painful.
The print had such a deep impact on me that when I went away to college, I bought my own print to stare off at when I was translating Latin or Greek.
Today, I stumbled upon this pretty neat 3-D visualization of Picasso'a "Guernica." The horrors of war are alive in the original painting, but this simulation is quite moving as well. Please do check it out:
1 comment:
when we traveled to Spain in college Guernica was one of the many amazing works of art that we got to see. Guernica is so much more than what any other piece of art could be- to me at least. i remember always studying the painting and that which led to it in school- how when Picasso was accosted by officers in Paris while under Nazi rule the officers saw a postcard or photo of the painting and asked him, "Did you do that?" to which Picasso is supposed to have replied, "No, you did." i love that he didn't want to have it sent back to Spain until Franco was done (and how he later added some other stuff like libraries be open, etc).
we saw it at Reina Sofia amongst what felt like a thousand little sketches and prep work he'd done for it. it's a huge painting- size and meaning- it takes up such a large amount of space! i wept when i saw it and it was a moment at which i really felt alive. my best friend was going to Spain and asked me what she absolutely had to see- she was only there for a couple of days. i told her Reina Sofia was filled with amazing art but that if she had only a moment there she had to see Guernica.
Post a Comment