17 August 2010

Pipe Dream, or, Realization

I need a break from C. I have been with her nearly constantly since she was born.

I adore her. I love her.

But I think her behaviour over the past two or three days is clear evidence that it's not just me in need of the break: she needs one too.

I just need...adult time. Time I don't have to worry what she's doing, etc.

I need...time to pamper myself in some stupidly frivolous way.

I would love for my work as a mother was appreciated. Or rather, if someone would vocalize their appreciation.

Alas, I do not seem to suffer from delusion for I also realize none of the above will ever happen.

Ah, well...thank you for letting me indulge in my selfish fantasy.

1 comment:

Dysmonia said...

As someone whose mother somewhat lacked an identity -- in her case, because she was in an abusive relationship and therefore socially isolated -- I admire women who make time for themselves as well as their children. A well-rounded person makes for a better parent.