18 August 2010

Trash Day!

For us, Wednesday is trash day. Normally A takes the trash and recycling to the curb on Tuesday night. As I was leaving this morning, however, I noticed he had forgotten.

It's no big deal. We share household chores. Yes, we tend to have "regular" chores we each do, but nothing is set in stone. I mean, we are partners, we are a household. It's just polite to look out for the other person.

So I took everything out to the curb, then went on my way.  I thought absolutely nothing about it until I received an apology from A this morning.

I explained/reminded him that we're in this together. We step in when needed, and don't make a big deal about it because it's not a big deal! 

His response to me: "But you're pregnant."

This is true. I am 14 weeks pregnant, I can move around just fine. I can also set my own boundaries and say, "You've gotta do this, I can't." Oh, and believe me, I will when that time comes.


But that time isn't here yet, and I'm rather enjoying being able to walk and breathe without difficulty. (During my previous pregnancy, C decided to not move down at all, so at 9 months, I had a full-term baby in my lungs, which DID interfere with breathing a bit.)

I did appreciate his concern, though. He is SO into sharing chores or doing them all himself to prove that he doesn't believe these are "women's jobs." That's why I appreciate it. That, and it does show some concern, some love, some care.

Misguided logic, but sweet intentions.

No comments: