19 April 2011

How to live with a philosopher

I found this blog that is devoted to explaining how to live with a philosopher.

Some gems:
Do not be alarmed! Analytic philosophers often sound rather angry or harsh with each other when they are intoxicated by ideas. There may even be super-involved logic proofs or diagrams on white boards and/or very wild gesturing. This is normal. Continental philosophers just get really loud and talk quickly when they are intoxicated by ideas.  You may also overhear continental philosophers connecting lots of ideas together (i.e. “I think The Other’s significance in Freud is particularly important when considering The Ethical in Heidegger,” etc.)

This explains why, early in our relationship, A didn't understand that I could disagree with him and not be angry with him. We had a massive debate about the benefits of a local city ordinance, and didn't see eye-to-eye. He kept asking, "but you're mad at me?"
"No, why would I be?"
"I mean we just disagreed..."
"We're two different people. We're not going to agree on everything!"
Philosopher questioning can be so darn annoying to a non-philosopher. We non-philosophers might say something innocent like, “I wish I could just go back in time and tell my younger self to have more fun.” Now to us, this statement is merely a thought or a wish, I mean, being an adult sucks sometimes, right?

Next thing we know, our philosopher’s eyes light up and the philosopher-questioning begins: “If you went back in time, would you really still be your 26-year-old self, or would you, in fact, be your 13-year-old self?” And then, before we know it, we’re getting a, “So what you’re saying is . . .” and a, “What you’re committing yourself to when you say that is . . .” (etc, etc, etc).
Sometimes I do this to C and I feel bad ...is this torture to her?  I mean, honestly, am I damaging her?

And...
I’m not sure if continental philosophers do this, but my analytic philosopher loves sharing thought experiments. These sorts of thought experiments are not your typical, “If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, did it make a sound?” nonsense that non-philosophers undergrads throw around to try to look smart. Oh, no. These are like the following:

You are a conductor on a very heavy cargo train that is speeding along the tracks. Up ahead, the track splits into two sets of tracks; one veering to the east and one veering to the west. You can see that on the eastern tracks, a lovely, young woman is tied there against her will. But then, you see on the western tacks that ten lovely, young women are tied to the tracks, also against their will. You have no time to stop the train; you only have enough time to pick a track. Which one will you choose?

A is always saying, "Quit bringing up situations that never happen."
"But they DO happen."
"You know what I mean." 
Not really. I thought it was an entertaining conversation. I guess you saw it as needless talking...? :(


I'm sure my family and close friends--many of you--can relate with her point of view.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Well, I use Socratic questioning on my third graders. At first they're annoyed, but now they're used to it. In fact, now they throw it right back at me. Hmm. Maybe I taught them a little tooooo well.