It’s a given that any major life even will cause you to reexamine your own life, where you are in it, where you want to be, etc.
How easily I forget this. After the major life event of having a baby, I find myself surprised that I forgot I’d be having some sort of identity crisis (again(?)).
Who am I?
Well, the first word that comes to mind is failure.
I went to graduate school and failed.
My relationship with B failed. Whatever. This doesn’t bother me any more.
Lots packed into those. Let’s unpack…a bit. (Not too much, don’t get scared!)
Concerning my failing at graduate school: more truthfully and objectively, the system failed me. A serial sexual harasser was allowed to stay in a position of power, and I was forced out of the doctoral program with a master’s degree.
There are no etiquette books on sexual harassment (maybe because it’s a bit of a breach of etiquette to sexually harass a person--?), but I often think about writing one. I could have used one. “Sexual harassment: etiquette and survival”—something like that would be an honest title. One chapter would be devoted to “how do you ask for a letter of recommendation from your sexual harasser?”
Of course, I still haven’t any idea how to do this. Some people have asked, “Do you really need his recommendation?” More than HALF my courses in graduate school were taught by him. I did special studies with him, he was my doctoral advisor. It’s like you work a 40-hour job, and 38 of those hours are supervised by one person. Two hours are supervised by another person. “Ask the person who supervised those two hours.”
So I know the system failed me. And more concretely, it’s become evident that serial sexual harassment in philosophy is a massive issue across the field.
There are no etiquette books on sexual harassment (maybe because it’s a bit of a breach of etiquette to sexually harass a person--?), but I often think about writing one. I could have used one. “Sexual harassment: etiquette and survival”—something like that would be an honest title. One chapter would be devoted to “how do you ask for a letter of recommendation from your sexual harasser?”
Of course, I still haven’t any idea how to do this. Some people have asked, “Do you really need his recommendation?” More than HALF my courses in graduate school were taught by him. I did special studies with him, he was my doctoral advisor. It’s like you work a 40-hour job, and 38 of those hours are supervised by one person. Two hours are supervised by another person. “Ask the person who supervised those two hours.”
So I know the system failed me. And more concretely, it’s become evident that serial sexual harassment in philosophy is a massive issue across the field.
But that’s of no comfort.
After some transgressions, there is healing. There are answers to be found.
I doubt I will ever have all my questions answered. I doubt I will ever fully be at peace about this. It’s rare for me to stay upset for this long. We’re talking years, now.
And it still stings.
I guess, I’m learning that I DO define myself in terms of my professional successes and failures.
And at this point in time, I am miserably—or brilliantly—failing.
And it still stings.
I guess, I’m learning that I DO define myself in terms of my professional successes and failures.
And at this point in time, I am miserably—or brilliantly—failing.
How did I forget I’d undergo this painful, stupid-ass not-quite-identity crisis after having another child?
This isn’t as bad as it was with C, and that, I suspect, is because I’ve already merged “Me” with “Being a mom.”
I suppose now I’m trying to merge “me/being a mom” with “going to law school.”
Or trying to be somewhat successful at something.
Or trying to be somewhat successful at something.
Okay, enough unpacking for now. Back into the box, up on the not-so-dusty shelf in my mind.
2 comments:
I don't even know what to say... other than I think I have an identity crisis most days. That is useless to you I know... but hell, I've just been venting in cyber space a little myself... I just wanted to reach out Whit. I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Your true self will always find a way back... or more so, it's always there somewhere. Hang in there. xx
I realize I'm late reading this, but coincidentally, I was just wondering today if you were still planning to attend law school.
I don't think you're a failure: you struggle every day to keep your head above water, and you win. You're a unique person with special skills, as well as a mother/wife/sister/daughter/friend. I know what it's like to dwell on failed attempts, but those don't necessarily translate into being a failure as a human being. There was a time when I felt that even if I never accomplished the things I wanted to do, I could still be the person I wanted to be. That was a huge comfort. It made happiness attainable.
Post a Comment