I picked her up from school, and we listened to Rage Against the Machine during our drive. I find listening to RATM helps me when I'm preoccupied with my weight (so does listening to Le Tigre--I guess I need political outrage to take me outside of myself). Upon our arrival home, I hear her singing.
"Hoover, he was a body remover!
I'll give you a dose,
But it can never come close
To the rage built up inside of me.
Fist in the air, in the land of hypocrisy!
....You know they went after King
When he spoke out on Vietnam
He turned the power to the have-nots--
And then came the shot!"
And so on. She keeps repeating "fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy."
Should she burst into this song around my parents, they'll be okay. I used to incorporate lyrics from a Rage Against the Machine song into my "Race, Class, and Gender" course.
Should she burst into this song around A's parents...oh, my!
Want to hear the song:
No comments:
Post a Comment