04 September 2009

educational background

I got an e-mail from a friend of mine from graduate school, BR. He left our graduate school, in part, because he was disgusted by the way I was treated after being sexually harassed. He is now at a different university, finishing his Ph.D.

I mentioned that to A last night night. He looked at C, and said, "Wow, Mommy has really smart friends. Daddy sometimes feels intimidated by this."

Is BR smart? Yes.
Is he smart because he's working on his Ph.D.? No. BR is just a smart guy.

I think A is a smart guy, too. However, I have learned over the past 8 months (omg, it's been 8 months!) that he feels intimidated by me, sometimes, due to my educational background.

It's just weird. I don't think of myself as smart, and I certainly don't think someone is smart because of their degree(s).

...just thinking out loud...

No comments: