Last night, A and I were debating politics. Oh, yes, this is a romantic evening for me!
He got up to get another drink or something—I don’t remember what, exactly—and turned around suddenly. “It’s too bad that there aren’t clear garnets,” he said.
I paused. The history of credit, the end of Fight Club, the existence of India as a state, the infighting within Islam, whether the Iraq war was started for money, spreading Christianity, or both, how moderates suck and radicalism is the answer, why taking down Fox News won’t (in my opinion) do anything except band the extreme right even more together…and clear garnets?
“I’m sorry, what are you talking about?”
A came and sat by me. “Well, to be honest, I’ve been looking at engagement rings.” He admitted. “I want to get you something special, but I also know we both have issue about diamonds."
This is true. I think we managed to talk about the politics of diamonds on one of our first three dates—romantic, no?
"...I want you to like the ring I get you, so I need your input on it. What type of metal, etc?”
But…wow. I was so surprised by this, and so flattered. I have no idea when he’s going to propose—I imagine it won’t be for a few months still and I’m honestly not going to sit around wondering when or expecting it—I’m just living in the moment and trying to enjoy as much of my life as I can. In fact, the only reason I like the ring tradition is because it’s an Ancient Roman tradition. That’s all. (Of course, so was your father arranging a marriage for you around the ages of 12-14…)
1 comment:
i am smiling for you.
Post a Comment