03 October 2011

Knox or Davis?


Okay, what the hell is up with Amanda Knox?
I haven’t kept up with it, but I know the gist of the story.
And I am furious that it’s receiving far more attention than the Troy Davis story.
Of course it’s receiving more attention than the Wall Street Protests.

Poor little (well-off?) white girl.
Poor black guy? Well, he could have worked harder or done something different. Amirite? 

UGH.

I get it, it sucks. But where was the focus on reasonable doubt  and fair trial for Troy?

Those who knew about Troy, knew. But in the media—where was the attention? The outrage? The same media coverage that Ms. Knox is getting?

It doesn't exist. We, as a society, still pay lip-service to people of color and of a socio-economic class we don't identify ourselves as.

I’m writing this instead of starting a couple massive fights on FB. “I hope Amanda is set free.”
Where was that outrage before Troy’s last week of life?

Perhaps we should note that Italy doesn’t have a death penalty.

Just so angry at how pop-culture focused we are, how much we/the media shy away from issues that matter and could, oh, change the world for the better.  

1 comment:

Dysmonia said...

I read an entire book about the Knox case last spring, and the evidence in the case seemed inconclusive. I only paid attention to it after that when the case made major headlines -- so I've had the "mainstream media treatment" since reading the book. I honestly don't feel like Knox has received favorable media attention until recently. Yes, the case was sensationalized because she was a pretty white girl with privilege, caught up in a scandal overseas. But she was treated quite negatively until her appeals process. It was only then, from what I read, that the actions of the Italian law enforcement and court officers was called into question. This is only my perception, however -- what I remember from the media I exposed myself to.