05 January 2010

Go in peace, MA

Oh, oh, oh...my heart hurts so much today.

MA, a friend of mine from middle school and high school, died on Sunday morning. She had a very hard time with bipolar disorder and I'm afraid that's ultimately what drove her to escape being in so much pain.

MA's mother was my Latin teacher for all of high school. Both of MA and her mom (who have the same initials) were delighted when I went on to college and majored in Philosophy and Classical Languages. MA's mom was very much a mom to me during my high school years. Her mom helped me very much as I tried to recover from my eating disorder. Both of them...meant the world to me. And still do mean the world to me. The funeral for MA is Friday. I will be there, and I will keep in touch with my Latin teacher.

I feel so stupid, but I wrote (for her parents) on her facebook page:
Muriel, yours was not an ἀνεξέταστος βίος to be sure! You also inspired so many to question, examine and contemplate: for this, ευχαριστώ. μου λείπεις. Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. Σ' αγαπώ, Muriel. Μου λείπεις.
[translation: M, yours was not an unexamined life, to be sure! You also inspired so many to question, examine and contemplate: for this, I thank you. I miss you. There is no easy way to the stars from the earth. I love you, Muriel. I miss you.]

It's so odd.

I woke up this morning feeling very sad. I had no idea why. I tried to work through it, figure out what was causing my sadness...was today the anniversary of something? No.

What happened Sunday morning is that the world became a dimmer, less vibrant place.

The world lost a compassionate, loving, daring, embracing, vivacious, talented, gorgeous, brilliant, contemplative and nurturing person.

You are so, so, so missed, MA.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

She sounds like a lovely soul, read the obituary you posted as well. So sorry for your loss. xox

Melissa said...

Oh my dear . . . so many things to say . . . I will email you soon. I've been thinking of you so much this past week that your ears should be on fire.

I love you.