16 January 2010

A little bit longer now

I just wrote something here, and it seems lacking of emotion.

I apologize.

I invited several new people to this blog, and I feel the need to explain myself yet again. A friend said something to me about my life being "nutty", and yes...it most certainly has been nutty. I mean, really--I studied philosophy and dead languages, I fled my ph.D program because of sexual harrassment, I watched someone close and very dear to me lose his mind while we traveled across the United States, I've been pregnant twice. But my goodness, what do you expect from someone who decides philosophy is the major for her? Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

Is there a life that isn't nutty? Can you live an examined life that isn't nutty? I mean truly live, not just go through the appropriate motions.

And would I truly want to live a life that wasn't--at the very least--quirky and unconventional?

No.

The best thing about my life is that I don't regret any of my decisions. I will readily admit that they weren't the smartest decision or the healthiest decision--but for me, they were the best decision I could have made at that time. I wouldn't change anything, if I could. Life is about connecting with people. Life is about love. To me, at least, this is true.

I also am a voracious learner. I find that I always want to learn more, and sometimes I ask questions when I should just be quiet.  I can't help but be curious. I cannot turn my mind off, which is very much a blessing and curse.

I choose to think of it as a blessing. Being quirky, living a nutty life--that's fine. I love this. I just want to always be active and involved in life, as in truly living. My biggest fear is that I'll stop learning. It used to really terrify me, but I've discovered that there is this insatiable drive within me to keep pushing. To keep learning. To ask questions.

To wonder.

Which again, is what philosophy is all about, no?

The unexamined life is a life without wonder.

May we (you, the reader, and I) always wonder and marvel and learn about the world, each other, and ourselves.

No comments: