16 January 2010

Now it is mid-month.

There are some major things going on in my life. Obviously.

I am putting serious thought into delaying my application to law school until Fall of 2011. It seems more and more crucial that I get into the local university for my family's sake. And I feel that I really have the best chance of that if and only if I submit my application in October. Which I didn't.

So...law school is still there. But I think it's going to be postponed...I'm not entirely sure, yet; I need to think a bit more about this.

In better news, I received a $2.00 an hour raise. I asked for a raise, and was hoping for a fifty-cent-an-hour-increase. But--woo-hoo! This is VERY much needed, and yes, VERY much deserved.

5 comments:

lynn said...

Go for your dream. Law school is only 2 years. We're looking at a possible 4-year separation for my PhD. I don't have a toddler, but I think it'd be worth the separation for my own education. You don't want to regret law school do you? At least apply where you want to and see what happens. Then make a decision.

lynn said...

I didn't mean separation from C, I meant a possible separation from A and the rest of your family. I'd take C with you and get her into the school's pre-K.

FemmePhil said...

A couple of issues:

1. At first proposal (by my father), this frustrated me and had me on the phone, making no sense, talking to Ms.Lisa. (Bless you, Lisa). She said the same thing you did.

2. When this was all a possibility, I had support from those this would directly affect. I've suddenly lost that support from the people this affects most. C won't be eligible for pre-K until 2011, either.

3. LSAC has not processed my transcripts of letters of rec. When applying to law school, you must send everything through LSAC and they send it on to the schools to which you're applying. So that delay is more than a little infuriating, and yes, I have and am trying to take this taken care of ASAP.

It's just a thought. I like to have options, particularly when I feel let down by those on whom I counted...*sigh*

But no, I'm not giving up law school. I NEED this.

Jessie said...

Another option re: law school - although I'm not sure that this addresses the childcare issue - is to transfer to another program after your first year. It's easier to get into the top-tier schools than as a first year, yet you get the same degree and are also able to participate in moot court and law journals, etc. The first year is kind of a wash wherever you go.

I did this -- basically, transferred from a second-tier, state school to a top five and also saved about $50,000 in the long-run. I had the same job opportunities as my peers at school two, if not more, as I had to 'prove' myself to get in there with my school one grades.

Nicole said...

Sometimes we think that not delaying with tom was a big mistake. We should talk sometime. It IS harder with a family, and you have much more to weigh out. Also not every law school has childcare.