I needed to take a quick break from work, so I went to a nearby store.
When I walked in, I was overwhelmed by the music that was playing overhead. It was a song that used to give me hope when I was with B...hope that he would get better, hope for us as a couple and as a family.
"'cause I don't shine if you don't shine...put your back on me..." were the lyrics that brought me to tears. At that time--in 2007--I was still reeling from the past year, the manic traveling sprees zigzagging across the USA. The memories of being with someone truly psychotic and doing everything I could to save his life while stranded in so many ways were still very fresh.
It's funny: it was only a couple weeks ago that I thought, "Hm, maybe I was traumatized by B's mania and the summer and autumn of 2006."
I hadn't heard that song in ages. Yet I walked into the store, and I almost lost my footing. My knees became weak, I started shaking.
But I didn't cry.
Instead, I listened. I listened not just to that song, but to the universe maybe? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like it was random coincidence that the song was playing when I walked into the store mid-day today. It felt destined. Fated. It is necessary to remember the past and your own history as you move into the future. I don't believe that I'll ever forget B or my time with him--the good times and manic times--but as I'm about to embark in a New Direction in my life, as I continue to grow, thrive, flourish, and take risks--it's good to be reminded of where I've been. Of my own history.
It just felt necessary. Painful, yes, but the pain passed. A glimpse at the tragedy of the past, of the beauty of the past, of the strangeness of life as our own future is blossoming and burgeoning before us...
Ah, Fate...
No comments:
Post a Comment