11 May 2009

Manic May

I received a phone call from my former MIL this morning. I have not heard anything from her since August 2008. B, her son, broke up with me in late August 2008. She has expressed absolutely no interest in her one and only grandchild.

And of course, she was not calling to see how C is.

Instead, she was calling to ask if I had seen B recently. No, I haven't.
Have you heard from him? Well, I explained that I had to block his number from sending me text messages in early March, but that he could still call me if he wanted, and no, I hadn't heard from him.

Former MIL explained that B was missing; they last saw him at midnight, and now he's gone.

I told her that I will let her know if I see him, and of course I will. She said she was going to call the police too. I honestly doubt that she will, but whatever. I know she wants her son back, and I know it was probably very hard for her to reach out to me to see if I know where her son is.

I'm still angry at her, though. She wouldn't know, because I was very nice. What good is anger going to do either of us in this situation? Seriously, this is not the time or the place to air my grievances. (And to be honest, I don't think she would "hear" or understand my grievances, namely, you have kept no contact with your one and only grandchild, have expressed absolutely no interest in her life or in my life, and yet still come to us for help?!)

You know how the Department of Homeland Security has a "terror alert" system?

I guess I'm on B-alert, level yellow. Not orange and certainly not red, but yellow.

I'm doing okay, though. A little thrown, but mostly back on track. I do appreciate that she called me so soon. When B and I were together, she sometimes waited 48-72 hours to let me know he was "missing." At least she's got some type of learning curve.

Later that same day...I think that it's a good sign I was able to take a call from B's mom without crying.

I was able to be congenial with her. Kind. I do feel sorry for her, even if I am angry. C will always have better help and resources should she develop any illness like B's; her mother understands the nature of these illnesses.

I hurt for their family. I cannot wish anyone pain or suffering, no matter how, well, shitty they've treated me in the past.

I hope B is found, safe and sound.

As for me, I am handling all this well. Before, this would have thrown me. But since I'm able to see things so much more clearly and objectively, this only made me pause.

I will continue to celebrate and enjoy my own life and the new life I'm building with A.

No comments: