02 September 2008

The Diva


Normally, I despise calling young girls “princesses” or “divas”. So many of the clothing made for children—yes, even infants!—is emblazoned with one of these words. Oh, and how could I forget the horrendous “Spoiled Rotten” shirts and onesies made for young girls.

(I despise these “slogans” for women and older girls too, but I figure it’s their choice to wear a stupid shirt, whereas a baby, toddler and young girl are being taught that it’s good and maybe even desirable to be spoiled princess-divas.)

However, my daughter is a Diva.

But wait! She’s not that kind of a diva. Here’s how Miss C is a different and cool kind of Diva…

C and I were in a local health food store a few weeks ago. I was looking at fragrance-free conditioners, and C was standing close to me, looking at something. I didn’t really see what she was playing with, but I knew the store display was attached to the shelf via a small chain. I found the conditioner I wanted, and took her hand—only to realize C had a brand new bracelet. I was puzzled; where did this come from? I wondered, bending down to get a closer look. A small chain dangled around her wrist, and she proudly held up a piece of latex. Beaming, she proclaimed, “Pretty, momma.”



I realized that my daughter had been playing with a display for the Diva Cup, and she now was wearing a Diva Cup on chain as a bracelet—her brand new “pretty.”

I laughed and agreed with her that it was pretty. Then…the fight began. I had to take the bracelet Diva Cup from her little wrist and restore it as a display. This made C quite unhappy, and she started crying. A few customers stopped and asked her why she was crying, and it took all my strength to not laugh. I explained she was just tired (and she was).

C is a Diva. Diva-Cup Lover, that is. And at such a young age!

Maybe I’m not such a horrible parent after all…

No comments: