18 September 2008

if only

Today is just awful. I can feel it.

I woke up at 5:00 am exactly this morning, jolted wide awake by a very pleasant, happy, dream about love. I lay in bed, feeling trapped in a room filled with the constant flickering light of the television. But I just lay there, thinking. Tormenting myself. I keep thinking that I should have acted differently throughout all the turmoil. If only I had been more patient, if only I had stayed calm, if only if only if only…

If only he had never gotten sick.

One of the books I read about bipolar disorder suggested realizing when it’s his illness talking, and distancing yourself from that situation. The book doesn’t begin to address the complexities of a situation like, what if he breaks up with me, but I don’t believe he’s really breaking up with me and I suspect his bipolar is breaking up with me? Does that count as a break-up? Of course, I don’t really need an answer for that question, my heart already knows the answer is yes, yes it does count as a break-up.

*heavy sigh* Today is going to be a very difficult day…

No comments: